• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does the role of Food Safety Team Leader replace that of Quality Manager in ISO 22000?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

qcqual

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

Can someone please confirm if the role of Food safety Team Leader replaces that of the quality manager in ISO 22000.

clause 5.3.2 a) states " the food safety team leader shall be responsible for: ensuring the FSMS is established, implemented, maintained and updated. 

It then goes on to list many of the functions that are usually in the domain of the quality manager, when controlling the management of other systems & standards.

regards

Martin

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

AFAK, to establish/implement/maintain/update FSMS, food safety team leader shall have proper and sufficient education in terms of HACCP, food safety and GFSI schemes on the first place. Quality manager might not have enough education, but food safety team leader must have all that.

qcqual

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

thank you for you reply, I appreciate that the quality manger may not have the required knowledge, and so need to undergo training, but if the food safety team leader is responsible for all the points noted in 5.3.2 a) it raises the question of what is left for a quality manager to do.

"ensuring the FSMS is established, implemented, maintained and updated" pretty much sums up a quality managers role in one sentence.  iso 22000 seems to have made every effort to remove the word quality, and replace it with "food safety" I wonder if this is another instance of this.

5.3.2 The food safety team leader shall be responsible for:

a)  ensuring the FSMS is established, implemented, maintained and updated.

b) managing & organising the work of the food safety team

c) ensuring relevant training and competencies for the food safety team

d) reporting to top management on the effectiveness and suitability of the FSMS

b and c i can see being controlled by a supervisory role, such as "team leader" but a and d are definitely a senior managers responsibility traditionally. there is no mention of a quality manager type role in the standard, which makes me think that the food safety team leader has taken its place.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:33 PM

Quality Manager and Food Safety Team Leader can be the same person if this person meets all of the qualifications. 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Completely agree with MsMars: I'm an example of a Quality Manager & FST leader, and this has been OK to all auditors so far.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Yup agree with MsMars.

Especially if its a small company, really the FS Team Leader can be the same person as the Quality Manager. I was that when I worked at a small company.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users