Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:13 AM

Not a topic on the writings of Jim Morrison, but rather an interpretation question of 4.4.8 with covers external doors.

In the guide it states, "Where external doors to enclosed product areas are opened, suitable precautions must be taken to prevent pest ingress."

Would a storage shed which contains finished product (packaged goods) be required to have strip curtains, or quick-close doors?

Or is the "enclosed product area" they are talking about an area in the manufacturing plant where the product is entirely enclosed?

The definition in the guide is "An area of the factory where all products are fully enclosed and therefore not vulnerable to environmental contamination", which makes me think that the packaged goods sheds don't need such protection.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:21 AM

"Enclosed product areas" encompasses both manufacturing areas where product is fully enclosed, and storage areas for enclosed/packaged product - see Appendix II page 92 of the standard.

I know rapid-rise doors are more costly, but IMEX they can help encouraging people to open/close as needed, rather than leaving them open whilst making multiple trips in/out. I'd be inclined to put strip curtains on it either way though ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

external, meaning opening to environmental conditions.

Would apply to your "shed."

Would not apply to inner rooms in a larger facility that in turn have external openings to the outside environment.

I see a steady movement away from strip curtains to rapid doors.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

DannyGFSC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunately, your shed where finished goods are stored does need doors. In my experience, as the manual roll-up doors become worn, facilities are adopting high-speed roll up doors. These systems are very expensive ($10,000 or more each) however, doing one at a time may be an easier pitch.

In the meantime, train your personnel really well on pest pressure and why doors should remain closed. Monitor these areas and issue actions for personnel that do not comply. Its not a permanent fix but it should help.

Best,

Danny Carrell

Global Food Safety Consultants

Food Safety Consultant

Phone: (559)737-2094

Email: Danny@GlobalFoodSafetyConsultants.com

GlobalFoodSafetyConsultants.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users