• Quick Navigation
Photo

Risk assessing string as a potential foreign body implementation and controls.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

EricG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

Is it still acceptable to risk assess string as a potential source of foreign body and implement appropriate controls for both BRC and TESCO? Or has string been prohibited? It has been a while since I have had to deal with this potential hazard.  

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

Not sure on Tesco, but BRC makes no specific mention of string in the standard itself. Staples, paperclips, and drawing pins are covered in terms of use in production areas, and there is a general requirement to avoid purchasing ingredients and packaging "which use staples or other foreign-body hazards", both in 4.9.2.2.

I don't see any problem with doing a risk assessment on it - if that doesn't conclude that the risk is negligible then implement appropriate controls, e.g. shifting raw materials that may be packed with it over to an alternative etc.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:32 PM

Is it still acceptable to risk assess string as a potential source of foreign body and implement appropriate controls for both BRC and TESCO? Or has string been prohibited? It has been a while since I have had to deal with this potential hazard.  

Product ?

Process ?

I suppose it might also depend on the dimensions, eg  length of the string ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: String

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users