• Quick Navigation
Photo

How often does a person have to renew their HACCP Certification?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ehintze731

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

How often does a person have to renew their HACCP Certification? Does it expire? I took a course in 2016 but I am wondering if this is training that I should be taking every so many years?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:12 PM

Not needed it does not have an expiration date.

I have mine from 2015 and it has been good till this day. 

But if you would like a refresher or something advanced you can go ahead and take it again.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:22 AM

Our auditors have their point of veiw and thinks that a refreser course every 5 years is something to strive for.

I kind of agree with them. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

Costco requirement is to refresh every 5 years.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:57 PM

It is important to keep learning and growing.  I do not think it is required to take the HACCP Course again unless you just want to or you are under FDA and a lot of changes have happened over the last few years with their expectations so it might be good to take a course targeted to their requirements.  However their are other options to showing you are staying up-to-date.  There are Advanced HACCP Classes as well as Verification and Validation Classes.  I saw a HACCP Refresher class advertised somewhere but can not remember where.  There are free webinars all the time, this forum is great for providing them.  Suggest you keep a log of any training you attend to include webinars and any blogs or newsletters, etc... you receive via e-mail or by mail.  You can use that as your support that you are trying to stay up-to-date with the industry and trying to learn and grow.

Thanked by 1 Member:

billbrochin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

Received HACCP training in 2001 and have not been questioned about the age of it.  In my PCQI class in late 2018, the instructor indicated that a renewal for HACCP certificate was being kicked around for every three years.  I have not heard any more about since that class.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

I had an auditor a couple of years ago who accepted a colleague's HACCP training certificate from 1992 - clearly expectations can differ quite significantly!
I don't think I've done taken any formal HACCP training for well over a decade now, but to an extent I think the necessity depends on the situation - if you're in a role that exposes you to lots of ideas, discussion, and challenge on your own HACCP, and that has you assessing lots of other sites' HACCP plans, you'll arguably learn as much if not more than you would from sitting in a classroom for three days. But waving a certificate at an auditor is perhaps easier than a more detailed discussion that demonstrates sufficient competence ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 11 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

I think if you're not using HACCP as part of your day to day role then perhaps a refresher now and then is OK.

The principles of HACCP don't really change. When I audit all I ever need to know is that if you're the HACCP team leader then you have some formal third party training and are certified accordingly.

We never ask for other qualifications to have a refresher or updated, (except first aid - but that's nothing to do with food safety.)  We never ask degree qualified people where is their degree refresher and some things we learnt 20+ years ago may well have changed. Why should we ask for HACCP refresher training, unless as I said, you're not using it and have now been asked to - so it won't hurt to have what your were taught reinforced. 

BRC doesn't ask for a refresher, just that:

"The team leader shall have an in-depth knowledge of Codex HACCP principles (or equivalent) and be able to demonstrate competence, experience and training. Where there is a legal requirement for specific training, this shall be in place."

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 11 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

Depends on the auditing scheme, but the "unofficial" number is generally regarded as every 5 years.

Marshall

Thanked by 2 Members:

QA2021

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

I m the HACCP team leader and during a customer audit they asked me what kind of training i had to be a HACCP team leader and my answer was that i m an engineer in food industry and i have a master degree in food safety since 2006. The auditor said it's not enough and i have to renew my training every 3years. This is true? And which GFSI standard require this?

Edited by QA2021, 27 November 2022 - 09:12 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:51 PM

Hello,

I m the HACCP team leader and during a customer audit they asked me what kind of training i had to be a HACCP team leader and my answer was that i m an engineer in food industry and i have a master degree in food safety since 2006. The auditor said it's not enough and i have to renew my training every 3years. This is true? And which GFSI standard require this?

Hi QA2021,

Re ^^^(red) -

The relevant customer audit Standard is not stated but offhand, I suggest this response  might have been addressed  to the auditor - "Please show me the evidence" !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users