Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kuwait
    Kuwait

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Hello everyone, I am working in a chips manufacturing company. I want to know whether acrylamide in chips is a ccp or not?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,667 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

Yes.

Due to it being highly toxic and possibly carcinogenic.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Hello everyone, I am working in a chips manufacturing company. I want to know whether acrylamide in chips is a ccp or not?

Does it lead to a significant hazard? (Chemical, Physical, biological) if not reduced or eliminated?

You will need to do some research. 

Edited by The Food Scientist, 25 November 2020 - 06:18 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:54 PM

I disagree with acrylamide being a CCP. Acrylamide has probably always been a by-product of sugar heating, but wasn't observed until the early 2000s. It also would only be toxic/carcinogenic if present in high levels of food over a long period of time.

Acrylamide is a naturally occuring by-product of highly heating products that contain sugars. Acrylamide is a chemical of concern for Prop 65, and products should be labeled with the warning statement if not meeting requirements for Prop 65.

The US FDA does not assign any maximum limits for acrylamide concentration in foods, nor have they assigned an action level for acrylamide content.

I do believe this should be listed in the HACCP plan as part of the hazard analysis for chemical hazards, and actions you take for reduction of acrylamide (perhaps adding in a processing aid to limit acrylamide production, cooking at lower temperatures, and/or product labeling) should be listed.

Please be sure that you have done your testing and know the acrylamide content of your products, and have done all due diligence to ensure the products meet compliance to Prop 65 regulations. Labeling is probably going to be the most critical compliance measure you can take, as it is could be hard to prove your compliance unless you have done significant work to ensure your products satisfy Prop 65 regulations.

QAGB

Thanked by 1 Member:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

IMO acrylamide is not a CCP - and we don't handle it as such in baking industry.
Pls look into the definition of CCP and your control options.

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

I agree it is not a CCP and there are no requirements as of yet for any testing that is required.  However we do test product annually due to prop 65 but those results are shared with no one at this time.  All testing has to go to an outside lab as I doubt any food plant would have the set up to conduct such testing.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:05 AM

there are no requirements as of yet for any testing that is required.

This isn't necessarily the case everywhere - for some products sold in the EU, analysis is required under Article 4 of Regulation (EU) 2017/2158:

1. Food business operators referred to in Article 2(1) shall establish a program for their own sampling and analysis of the levels of acrylamide in the foodstuffs listed in Article 1(2).

4. Food business operators referred to in Article 2(1) and (3) shall perform sampling and analysis to determine the level of acrylamide in foodstuffs in accordance with the requirements set out in Annex III and shall record the results of sampling and analysis.

Full details: https://eur-lex.euro...elex:32017R2158

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users