Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:36 AM

Hello, not sure if this is the right thread to post in as it is more of a quality issue rather than a food safety one. I have come to a bit of a challenge. My product range is vegan and gluten free therefore very sensitive to certain temperatures in preparation. We are down in Australia and as it is beginning to be summer, our water tanks are always warm. We never get cold water! This is a huge challenge for our products as gluten free being starch-based, and starches coming into contact with warm water cause them to become very thick. Our batters are now becoming very difficult to put through depositing machines. Is there a way around this? We have to test the water prior to being able to use it, so outsourcing to a water company could work if they follow the same regulations. I just can't seem to see the good in having to store thousands of 15lb water bottles in our cool room....

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:30 AM

I've no idea how readily available it is in Australia, but here it is possible to source water in road tankers so you'd not need thousands of individual bottles.

Alternatively you could look at heat exchangers, to cool the water on the way from your tank to your production process.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:25 PM

you can put in a heat sink (or heat exchanger) to bring the water to ambient and then into a chiller unit that delivers the water at required temperature to your production area.

We have a bakery in Florida that does this exact thing.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users