• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can Interior Bait Stations contain Bromadiolone and Bromethalin rodenticide?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Boxes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:10 PM

Hello,

We manufacture and warehouse corrugated packaging and are working towards moving one of our facilities to compliance with AIB.   The facility has a Pest Control provider that has been used for several years with great success as reported by the facility top Management. In review of the program, bait stations are used both internally and externally using rodenticide bait containing Bromadiolone and Bromethalin. This has been discussed with the provider and moving to interior catch traps was not something he was willing to move to as he has been in the pest control business for a long time with background experience working with the FDA and disease control. Stating interior bait stations were the best route for our needs.

I am familiar with the AIB standard as it reads like this would be unacceptable. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Are there any exceptions or instances where interior bait stations would be acceptable for our needs? Upper Plant Management has informed me that they really want to work with this Pest Control provider and keep his services. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

"...provider and moving to interior catch traps was not something he was willing to move to as he has been in the pest control business for a long time with background experience working with the FDA and disease control. Stating interior bait stations were the best route for our needs."

----------------------

Tell him it's not up to him, to get real world - only non-baited stations for the interior.

If he will not bend, find one that understands working with packaging companies that may have an impact on food.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

No, I can't think of any food safety scheme I've been involved with that is ok with rodenticide (POISON) inside the facility. In fact, prior to my first AIB inspection in this facility last year I went ahead and got a 'test' inspection to catch any things that I might have missed. One thing the test inspector said was borderline major, was that our bait boxes were too close to a frequently used (often open) overhead door into our final product warehouse. He told me during that test audit that if it had been a real audit, there could be a possibility of instant failure. It could have been a bit of scare tactics, but I want to impress upon you that these weren't even INSIDE the facility.

No, I'm with Glenn. If your PCO can't get you some simple tin-cats for inside like the vast majority of other PCO's that deal with food and food packaging manufacturers then go ahead and find someone that can.

Edit: Changed audit to inspection, I keep forgetting AIB calls their GMP an 'inspection' not audit :X

Edited by TimG, 07 December 2020 - 06:48 PM.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Having a rodenticide in your facility is a bad idea.  

-Setanta         

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

We are a packaging manufacturer also (paperboard). You may NOT have bait stations inside the plant. "Tin Cat" type ONLY! Also, don't let them store any of their chemicals at your location. I've heard of some pest control companies trying this and it is not acceptable as you take full responsibility for documentation, control and handling of these chemicals as part of your Chemical Control (HAZCOM) program.

If I'm not mistaken, the pest control company works for you, correct. Your opinion is the only one that matters here. Also, explain to your owners that keeping his services as is could jeopardize your certification as a major (if not critical) failure. They should change their tune and direct the pest control company to change if they want to keep them around. Personally, given their resistance to your direction, I'd be looking for another vendor and let them know that too!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users