Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

Good day members, I want to blend the concentrate below. The ingredients on the label is as shown. Can you please recommend a book for doing fruit juice and concentrate formulations. How would I go about calculating the quantities for this drink?

5L Blended fruit drink concentrate (Makes 80L – Dilute 1 Part concentrate with 15 Parts clean water)

Ingredients: Orange concentrate, Mango, Guava, Papaw & Banana Puree, Citric acid (E330), Ascorbic acid (E300), Stabiliser (E466), Non-nutritive K (E950), Anti foaming agent (E122), Colourants (E122), Flavouring.      

Preservatives: Sodium benzoate (E211), Potassium sorbate (E202), Sodium Metabsulphite (E223)                           

Allergen: Contains sulphates

Attached Files

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Send it to a lab.......................

there are some online calculators but you get what you pay for

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:04 PM

It all should be based on your brix, acid and brix/acid ratio that you desire for the end product.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:42 PM

Good day members, I want to blend the concentrate below. The ingredients on the label is as shown. Can you please recommend a book for doing fruit juice and concentrate formulations. How would I go about calculating the quantities for this drink?

5L Blended fruit drink concentrate (Makes 80L – Dilute 1 Part concentrate with 15 Parts clean water)

Ingredients: Orange concentrate, Mango, Guava, Papaw & Banana Puree, Citric acid (E330), Ascorbic acid (E300), Stabiliser (E466), Non-nutritive K (E950), Anti foaming agent (E122), Colourants (E122), Flavouring.      

Preservatives: Sodium benzoate (E211), Potassium sorbate (E202), Sodium Metabsulphite (E223)                           

Allergen: Contains sulphates

The problem you have is that the information here is an ingredients list, not a recipe. There are for example multiple ways to combine the different juices/purees to achieve the required 6% juice content, so there isn't enough information to work out which one is "correct".

Similarly for the additives:
Citric acid is usually used to achieve a specific Brix/acid ratio, and/or to reduce pH to a target level;

Ascorbic acid is used in variable quantities, depending on product, process etc;

Stabiliser will depend to an extent on the specific properties of the juices you're using and on the stabiliser itself. I'd suggest talking to the manufacturer.;

Sweeteners/colours/preservative levels are often determined by regulatory requirements in the country/countries in which the product is sold;

Antifoam is going to depend entirely on what it is an how it performs - again I'd speak to the manufacturer;

Flavours are a hugely complex area, so once again you'll need to discuss this with the flavour house from whom you source the products.

From the label I assume you're being asked to make an existing product for someone, so I'd also ask them for the full recipe!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fomulation, fruit concentrate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users