• Quick Navigation
Photo

Viscosity measurement for batters, ideas yall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:22 PM

Good morning all. I work for a dry mix producer. We measure viscosity on a few things, and have always used the old 'ramp' style viscosity chamber to measure. I'm looking at some of the rotary/digital ones. Does anyone have any tips, good bad experiences, a good model that's not hugely expensive?  I'm looking to keep it under $500 bucks if possible, and want something that's going to last. If not I'll stick with the antiquated but tried and true device. Any input from all yall pro-fesh-o-nals out there would be appreciated! Thanks!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:32 PM

This one is a rotational digital one:

SNB-AI Digital Viscometer.

Used it during undergraduate studies and it was really good.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

I've been impressed with the Brookfields that I've used, but $500 seems an optimistic budget unless you get lucky with something second hand.

IMEX aside from the kit itself, it helps if you understand the rheology of the liquid(ish) that you're measuring to an extent - e.g. is it non-Newtonian, thixotropic etc - as this can have a bearing on what you measure, and how you and others would interpret the results of that measurement ;)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users