• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Gardening, travelling,

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:40 AM

Dear friends. Will be a Beer made from Barely possess Gluten allergen in the end product. Are any other allergen present in Beer. Please provide your thoughts. Yours, Mohan

Thanks Regards, Mohan Whatsapp No: +91 9743114693

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:30 AM

yes, beer from made from barley, wheat, or rye would contain gluten

if there are other allergen present would depend on the blend. for instance, nut flavored beers are popular and contain
allergenic nut protein

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Roshni

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:11 AM

Hi Mohan, Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, barley and rye. People may develop intolerance to gluten but that is not considered an allergy. Considering gluten or barley as an allergen is something worth discussing. I haven't come across beer manufacturing company declaring gluten as an allergen. 

Also worth considering is presence of allergen from external sources such as at suppliers end during processing of barley, bringing food which include allergens.

Regards

Roshni

"Everyone is responsible for food safety"

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:59 AM

Are any other allergen presence in Beer.

Some beers (and indeed wines) are made using fining agents that contain fish (isinglass) or egg albumen, so could be another potential allergen.

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:38 AM

Some beers (and indeed wines) are made using fining agents that contain fish (isinglass) or egg albumen, so could be another potential allergen.

Agree with you on the fining agents. Sure, there is a chance of contamination. Ingredient assessment will solve on this

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

Hi Mohan, Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, barley and rye. People may develop intolerance to gluten but that is not considered an allergy. Considering gluten or barley as an allergen is something worth discussing. I haven't come across beer manufacturing company declaring gluten as an allergen. 

Also worth considering is presence of allergen from external sources such as at suppliers end during processing of barley, bringing food which include allergens.

Agree with you Roshini.

As we use Barley, can it express allergicity in end product at consumer. Whats your views?

In India, too, no manufacturer declaring it on label.  

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:43 AM

yes, beer from made from barley, wheat, or rye would contain gluten

if there are other allergen present would depend on the blend. for instance, nut flavored beers are popular and contain
allergenic nut protein

Hi, is any US Beer manufacturer's declare Gluten on label? Here we are wont. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

Hi, is any US Beer manufacturer's declare Gluten on label? Here we are wont. 

There are Gluten-Free beers in the US that declare their GF status, but to my knowledge none label their beer as HAVING Gluten.  I'll need to do more research.  :beer:

-Setanta         

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:00 PM

Looks like Canada is going to have to start labelling the allergens greated than 10ppm

Labelling requirements for alcoholic beverages
Food allergens, gluten and added sulphite labelling – Alcoholic beverages

Added allergens, gluten sources and sulphites at a level of 10 ppm or more must be declared when present in alcoholic beverages [B.01.010.1(2), FDR]. This requirement applies to bourbon whisky and standardized alcoholic beverages, even though these are exempt from declaring a list of ingredients [B.01.008(2)(f), FDR]. It also applies to unstandardized alcoholic beverages. Beer is no longer exempt from declaring food allergens, gluten source and added sulphites. For more information on how to declare these on beer labels during the transition period until December 13, 2022, see Product specific information for beer.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

emportllc

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:gluten-free food, crossword puzzles, being outside

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:12 PM

Just want to point out some language usage that differs country by country: 

In India "Cereals containing gluten" are grouped as an allergen. Specifically the regulations published in November 2020 mention: "wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt or their hybridized strains and products of these (To be declared as name of the cereal)". This would indicate to me that any beer brewed with any of those grains would need to be labeled as containing the specific cereals it was brewed with. I am not entirely clear on when these regulations came into effect or if there are additional considerations for fermented foods.

In the US wheat is considered an allergen and is subject to all the FALCPA/FSMA allergen regulations - but gluten is a separate issue with a separate set of regulations. A beer that contains barley but not wheat is not subject to allergen labeling. However, it also cannot be called gluten-free.  

Hope that helps!

Emily Kaufman  
Emport, LLC
More safe food, more happy people

866.509.4482 • 718.717.2353
emilyk@emportllc.com • emportllc.com

smgendel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:44 PM

It is important to recognize that in the US beer made from barley malt and hops is not regulated by FDA.  Those are Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (part of the Treasury Department) products with labeling requirements from that agency.  Beer made from other grains  are FDA regulated and need to comply with FDA labeling regulations.  The FDA has a regulation that defines when products can claim to be gluten-free, including considerations for products made through fermentation.  Detailed information is available on the agency web site. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 28 September 2021 - 11:49 AM

In general, in practice, it is infrequent to observe an allergy to beer.

Based on what data? 

-Setanta         

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:42 PM

It is important to recognize that in the US beer made from barley malt and hops is not regulated by FDA.  Those are Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (part of the Treasury Department) products with labeling requirements from that agency.  Beer made from other grains  are FDA regulated and need to comply with FDA labeling regulations.  The FDA has a regulation that defines when products can claim to be gluten-free, including considerations for products made through fermentation.  Detailed information is available on the agency web site. 

What I was going to say. We make beer brats. As part of their regulations, there are food safety regulations but allergens are not part of it. We get an allergen statement from them. The general rule to go by: if the ingredients are either wheat, barley or rye - it contains gluten. Generally ciders and maybe a few others are considered gluten free. For those with celiac disease (can't tolerate gluten) - they avoid beers with gluten in them.

NickGuliver

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:54 PM

In general, in practice, it is infrequent to observe an allergy to beer. But there are cases when beer contains egg white, which can be another potential allergen. Honestly, I didn't know this before. I bought some beer. Until my friend started working in belmark.com , and he began to produce labels for beer. I was interested in the concept of the tag, and I looked at the composition. It turned out that there are beers that can cause allergies in certain people. Beer contains various dyes and additives, and you may be allergic to them.

I think this is for you

Edited by NickGuliver, 05 October 2021 - 02:57 PM.

MuddyWaters1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2022 - 12:26 PM

In general, the list of potential allergens that can be found in beer also includes malt and yeast, so if someone has an allergy or some reaction of the body to it, then I don't think they can drink beer. Although, it all depends on the quality of the beer. For example, I buy everything myself and make homemade beer, and I just love it. It's much tastier, fresher, and more real! And by the way, before brewing some type of beer, I look at how to do it correctly on this site -- https://learningtoho...-brewery-style/, my friend who has been brewing beer for a long time advised me to do so. And he has about 15 or 20 years of experience brewing beer.

Edited by MuddyWaters1, 05 August 2022 - 12:29 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users