• Quick Navigation
Photo

Would marble cutting boards be acceptable for a BRC audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ClF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

I work in a Fruit and Vegetable Processing plant. We are looking at replacing all our plastic cutting boards with marble as we find the plastic ones score easily and as such do not last. Would marble be acceptable for a BRC audit? Obviously there is the risk element of them being dropped which could lead to it shattering everywhere! Or can anyone suggest an alternative that will last?

Ives101

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:30 AM

For any new tools introduced in manufacturing facility, risk assessment is crucial. It will then assist you on how you will manage the identified risks and its impact to your compliance with BRC. I don't see it will be an issue with your BRC Audit as long as you have documented and implemented controls to minimize the identified risks i.e. how will you prevent the marble from being dropped, cleaning procedure & storage after use, visual inspection before use?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:58 AM

I work in a Fruit and Vegetable Processing plant. We are looking at replacing all our plastic cutting boards with marble as we find the plastic ones score easily and as such do not last. Would marble be acceptable for a BRC audit? Obviously there is the risk element of them being dropped which could lead to it shattering everywhere! Or can anyone suggest an alternative that will last?

Hi CIF,

Some official support for your choice -

Attached File  USDA Cuttting boards.pdf   163.89KB   17 downloads

IMEX (fish) plastic is more common but which admittedly requires tolerance/replacements as you noted.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

Marble is going to be brutal on knives and may create another problem altogether  (e.g. employee injuries due to dull knives)   Marble is also porous, so not a better choice

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users