Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:46 PM

Hi food safety community, I wanted to ask does WIP materials/products (ex: leftover materials to use it on the next production; WIP materials that are made (as an ingredient) and stored for assembling on another production day) are considered as rework operations? We do this on a routine basis and document the rework/ingredient amount and production date on our production recipes.  And so if the above mentioned are considered as rework,  the following SQF code 2.4.6.1 says that we have to ensure that: iii. Reworked product is processed in accordance with the site’s food safety plan; (How do we show leftover material or WIP on our HACCP plan?) iv. Each batch of reworked product is inspected or analyzed as required before release; (Our routine rework operation is supervised by our Production Supervisor including inspecting finished products and I am responsible for releasing the finished product and all the verification activities. However, if it's a reworked product from hold or quarantine, then I am the person who has to inspect the reworked product and release them. Question is, are we required to assign personnel to release reworked materials/products from our routine rework from each batch? Or it will be fine if I only release the final product and not the reworked WIP to make sure they meet finished product specifications)

v. Inspections and analyses conform to the requirements outlined in element 2.4.4.1; vi. Release of reworked product conforms to element 2.4.7; and vii. Reworked product does not affect the safety or integrity of the finished product.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:48 PM

No WIP is NOT rework

On your flow chart you can add the locations where the WIP is created and where/when it is added back into the process. I would add this to your traceability policy/program detailing how you manage the inventory piece

Voila-complete!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Avryl

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:43 PM

Hi Scampi,

Thanks for the great input again!

I read some thread and website saying leftover dough is considered as a rework which is why I got confused. From what I know is that rework operation is usually done for non-conforming products or when we use a finished product as an ingredient for another product. H

Edited by Avryl, 18 March 2021 - 08:46 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

I think they've used the word incorrectly. I would call that example WIP as it never made it to finished goods

WIP is any state of raw ingredient--so for traceability you are tracking the input ingredients

Rework is any finished (packaged or unpackaged) product that has to go back through a process ---so for traceability your tracking the finished lot/batch

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users