Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

Hello all, I'm a little confused about what is required for this addition in SQF 9. Would a simple documented "label check" for all finished products be sufficient? I'm thinking about adding a section to the batch/production sheet or a complementary check list where either the production manager or employee doing the labeling can verify and sign off on correct labels (with all necessary label details) applied to correct products before the finished products are prepped to be shipped or sent to stock. Let me know if you guys think this fulfills the requirements. Perhaps I would need additional verification that the correct number are made and if/when labels are disposed of for whatever reason that is also documented. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:45 PM

I caught this on the SQF 9.0 and from my interpretation it is more in line with label inventory and ensuring there are not wide swings in usage.  Variance in usage could indicate poor label control and labels are out in the market for potential unauthorized use, or you are putting the wrong labels on the wrong products.

We are meeting this requirement with our label verifications during our changeover procedures and cycle count of our labels.

dfreund

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:25 PM

We verify the right label is on the right packages at changeovers, label roll changes and at breaks. A QC team member is assigned to do the rounds 4x daily for positive release of product.  the documentation on the initials and number of bags checked on the production ticket.

The QC assigned turns in a checklist to QA at the end of the week showing their completed tasks checked off.  They also monitor Metal detector challenges and Hygiene on these rounds.

Use this if it may apply to your system.  Verifying labels upon delivery for accuracy to proof copy is another check we do.

Dave

Thanked by 1 Member:

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

Hello. 

I'm BRC so i'm sure there are some slight differences. 

When we use manul sticky labels, (our usage is very minimal) we have a form that a copy of the label is stuck onto to, with date and corresponding order number. We have to document the number printed, used and destroyed. This is signed by supervisor and QC. 

For the majority product which is pre-labelled and printed on, we have a form for each lane which completed every hour by QC to confirm all necessary details are correct.

Edited by FoodSafetyAPP, 02 April 2021 - 10:57 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:38 PM

2.6.1.2 Product start-up, product changeover, and packaging changeover (including label changes) procedures shall be documented and implemented to ensure that the correct product is in the correct package and with the correct label and that the changeover is inspected and approved by an authorized person. Procedures shall be implemented to ensure that label use is reconciled and any inconsistencies investigated and resolved.

Product changeover and label reconciliation records shall be maintained.

It looks like the verification at product changeovers with labels is separate than the label reconciliation.  See bold, underline above.  In previous code it already referenced label verification and now version 9 is verification AND reconciliation.  See below definition of inventory reconciliation.

Inventory reconciliation is the process of comparing physical inventory counts with records of inventory on hand. This is an important process as it helps reduce stock discrepancies and understand why there are discrepancies in the first place.

I interpret this as more than just verifying labels are correct at startup and changeovers.

Edited by Ryan M., 03 April 2021 - 01:39 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

Also appears to potentially overlap (ie "reconciliations") clause 2.8.1.9

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:49 AM

Indeed.

Also appears to potentially overlap (ie "reconciliations") clause 2.8.1.9

k1tacas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:26 PM

Hi, I am new to SQF. How do people do label reconciliation with adhesive labels. Is labels printed v label used sufficient. I can not do a count of labels as currently blank white labels are also used to label other things such as tubs, rework, folders etc.

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2022 - 07:33 PM

Hi, I am new to SQF. How do people do label reconciliation with adhesive labels. Is labels printed v label used sufficient. I can not do a count of labels as currently blank white labels are also used to label other things such as tubs, rework, folders etc.

Hi, I am also new to SQF, but from my understanding it is (used + wasted + returned)/(issued) for reconciliation percentage. 

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 08 November 2022 - 07:34 PM

Hi, 

Hoping to find some clarification on whether or not reconciliation applies to pre-printed packaging? We have both packaging (tubs) that are filled into, sleeves that have labelling information (pre printed) and pre printed labels which are applied to tubs. 

So we don't print anything on site with legal information. 

Does that mean we are exempt from reconciliation?

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2022 - 11:04 PM

Hi,

From my understanding, the reason for label reconciliation is to ensure that 1. the correct label/packaging is being used for the correct product to avoid mislabeling/mispackaging and 2. the label/packaging is not being used in a fraudulent way by anyone, essentially reconciliation is a way to show that the facility has control over the labeling/packaging.

If your pre-printed packaging contains the nutrition information, allergen information, etc, then you would need to reconcile these for the above reasons.

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 09 November 2022 - 09:10 AM

To clarify, we need to note hoe much was released to the line and how much was returned to store with each run?

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:00 PM

Yes, and how much was thrown away during the run for whatever reason.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 November 2022 - 06:34 AM

Hi Folks,

To make it clear, there are two requirements:

1. Product start-up, product changeover, and packaging changeover checks to ensure the label/package/product are correct

2. Label reconciliation to estimate based on normal use (including typical wastage) that the number of labels used is correct.

These are standard good practices for label reconciliation:

Only the packaging required for immediate use is available to the packing line at any one time and after the production run, any unused labels are removed from the packaging line.

Checks are in place to monitor that actual label use matches expected label use (actual and expected use including expected waste). This is to confirm correct usage so that any inconsistencies can be investigated while the product is still within the site’s control.

The discrepancy may simply be due to abnormal wastage, for example I have had problems previously with labels being wound too tight and it causing snapping and hence high wastage but inconsistencies do need investigating in case the some of the product has been mislabelled.

For very long production runs, an alternative frequency may be more appropriate such as each production shift.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 12 November 2022 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Tony. Does anyone have a form they could share for this? What is the most practical way to make it work, is it one piece of paper each day
I.e issued to line, removed from line? Usage...
Vs. Expected usage

kyrabowden

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:26 PM

Hi there - hope you're well. Were you able to create a process/form to use that has been successful? Please share if you don't mind. Thank you!

-Kyra

Thanks Tony. Does anyone have a form they could share for this? What is the most practical way to make it work, is it one piece of paper each day
I.e issued to line, removed from line? Usage...
Vs. Expected usage

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users