Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:55 PM

Hi all, for poultry processing, is the surface in Evis room non-food contact surface for sanitation? Even though birds are hung by two legs on shackles, shackles are non-food contact surface? Does food only refer to the carcasses entering the air chill room?  

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

Out of curiosity, I was looking for definition of FCS in Canadian & international food safety Regulatory standard documents (e.g. FSCR, FDR, Preventive Controls, Codex Alimentarius, etc.) - couldn't find anything. After web searching, found this "FCS are those surfaces that contact human food and those surfaces from which drainage, or other transfer, onto the food or onto surfaces that contact the food ordinarily occurs during the normal course of operations" (Patricia A. Wester, Hazard Analysis and Risk Based Preventative Controls, 2018) This definitions is the closest to my understanding. In our production, we consider food contact surfaces those contacting with raw ingredients, work-in-progress, and finished products. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:32 PM

Out of curiosity, I was looking for definition of FCS in Canadian & international food safety Regulatory standard documents (e.g. FSCR, FDR, Preventive Controls, Codex Alimentarius, etc.) - couldn't find anything. After web searching, found this "FCS are those surfaces that contact human food and those surfaces from which drainage, or other transfer, onto the food or onto surfaces that contact the food ordinarily occurs during the normal course of operations" (Patricia A. Wester, Hazard Analysis and Risk Based Preventative Controls, 2018) This definitions is the closest to my understanding. In our production, we consider food contact surfaces those contacting with raw ingredients, work-in-progress, and finished products. 

Hi Olena,

Yr def. looks to be borrowed from USFDA -

Food-contact surfaces are those surfaces that contact human food and those surfaces from which drainage onto the food or onto surfaces that contact the food ordinarily occurs during the normal course of operations. "Food-contact surfaces" includes utensils and food-contact surfaces of equipment.

https://www.accessda...ch.cfm?fr=110.3

@ Cici - see ^^^(red) - Assuming Canada follows FDA

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

EVERYTHING in the evis room is a food contact surface. The birds (less the viscera) are clean at that point. This includes shackles, the screw to remove the crop and the viscera spoons. All of it

Poultry slaughter is designed to get cleaner as the process progresses, but that does not mean the surfaces are non food contact. Assume for a second that a shackles is contaminated with feces---that one carcass will be pulled off for reconditioning (i.e. removal of said leg) but the shackle will continue to contaminate

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Cici2018

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for comments. The definition of food causes confusion now. What is food? The decision from the plant now is carcasses entering into Chiller is food. Before chiller, carcasses are not food. So any surfaces in evisceration room are non-food contact surfaces. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for comments. The definition of food causes confusion now. What is food? The decision from the plant now is carcasses entering into Chiller is food. Before chiller, carcasses are not food. So any surfaces in evisceration room are non-food contact surfaces. 

Hi Cci,

Perhaps suggest the "Plant"  ask CFIA ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:14 PM

CIci, you're going to have nothing but problems with CFIA if "the plant" decides everything prior to the chiller is not food. You are going to get a CAR for this and if you continue to process this way after they tell you you can't, and they see it at subsequent audits, you will be given a 7 day notice to change it.

If you don't treat all surfaces as food contact, you are jeopardizing meeting this requirement https://inspection.c...4/1539715737915

You are aware almost ALL of chapter 19 has been incorporated by reference and is still the law right?

A licence holder cannot identify as edible any meat product that is contaminated. Possible contamination of the meat products is prevented by ensuring hygienic procedures during dressing and evisceration. When contamination inadvertently occurs, it will be promptly identified and hygienically removed by the operator, as described in the Standards to identify a meat product as edible. Please consult Dressing procedures and Preparation of edible parts to ensure that you implement the best hygienic practices to achieve this.

Equipment should be cleaned and sanitized if it comes into contact with contamination (or parts that by nature can be considered contaminated/inedible), pathological defects or any biological, chemical or physical hazards. Particular care in this matter should be taken for the following:

​I suggest management actually read the regulations 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users