mohamed ahmed yusuf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 190 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Egypt
    Egypt
  • Interests:Reading, Listening music, handball , volleyball, food safety, drawing , R&D, Photoshop

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

Dears,

Kindly i have an inquiry about the HACCP study,

We are manfacturing herbs in one of the sites which not belong to our company, this company is also manfacturing Herbs , we just using their line for production.

In this Case shall i have specific HACCP plan for my products or it could be included into their HACCP plan ? 

please note that our products have different specification and monitoring than the original site specification.

Also what about the team if in case of a specific HACCP plan, our team there consist of 2 memebers only, is that enough ? 

I would be thankful for sharing your comments and ideas.

M.Yusuf

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:44 PM

I would use your HACCP plan, show where the product is shipped out (include their certifications as the control measure) and where it is shipped back to you for distribution

Only you know the answer about the size of the team---depends on size of the facility and what monitoring needs done

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Are they providing a contract processing service to you, or are you just renting the physical equipment (i.e. you're providing the staff, operating controls, QC checks etc)?

For a contract processing service I'd expect it to sit within their HACCP system(s), whereas if you're just renting the kit then it's likely that you'd need to create your own. You might be able to use theirs as a reference source, and/or borrow some of their HACCP team to augment yours as needed, depending on the nature of the agreed relationship between your businesses.

Edit: I've just seen that this topic is a duplicate of this one, that Scampi has already answered: https://www.ifsqn.co...55-haccp-study/

Will leave it at the mods' discretion as to whether to delete this one or the other, and whose responses to move where...

Edited by pHruit, 14 April 2021 - 05:13 PM.

foodsafetymuse

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

If I am understanding the post correctly, you are shipping the herbs to another location (not owned by your company. I.e. a co-manufacturing location) to process.

I see two avenues for your herb HACCP:

1. Treat the company as a supplier that you are outsourcing an operation to. (i.e. re-packing). Follow the same protocols as you would to approve your suppliers. Request their HACCP and other relevant documents. Expect and require the supplier to monitor their food safety systems as appropriate. Monitor as appropriate. (I would need specific details to give a more tailored response)

2. Treat the company as a co-manufacturer in which you contract to provide a product. (either labeled under your brand name or theirs). In this scenario you could elect to visit their site and develop a HACCP plan specific to your process and product OR request the co-man provide your company with a HACCP Plan that includes the product. To understand which relationship would be more appropriate, I would need more details. (I would need specific details to give a more tailored response)

Irregardless a HACCP specific to your product and process should be developed.

In response to the HACCP Team, there is no set requirement for the number of members. It should be lead by a qualified individual with appropriate credentials. It is specific to your business. I would need more details to assess if a 2 person team is adequate for the nature of your business. My point being, don't assume that it is NOT acceptable merely b/c there are 2 people. Two people could suffice for the nature of your business.

Cori

Food Safety Muse

@@food_muse

emcdonald

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:31 PM

It could be set up many ways, depending on the specific arrangements.  Either way, a HACCP plan needs to be developed for your product.  You might have your own HACCP plan to cover your steps, and they would have a HACCP plan to cover their steps.  You will definitely want to audit your manufacturing partner to ensure they're following the correct procedures, and have a Quality Agreement in place outlining who is responsible for which steps... At my company, we use contract manufacturers, and we have a Quality Agreement that is essentially a checklist covering all the GMP/HACCP requirements and assigning a responsible party for each item.  For example - Raw materials: are you sourcing materials from your own suppliers, or is your manufacturing partner sourcing them for you, or a combination of both? Who provides the raw material specifications? Who is responsible for acceptance/testing of raw materials? Who is responsible for approving the suppliers? Etc.  For raw materials you're providing, you would conduct your own hazard analysis, but you would not conduct a process hazard analysis if manufacturing is done by your partner, because that will be specific to their facility/equipment/PRPs. They would need to complete the process hazard analysis, and you review it when you audit them.

Regarding your HACCP team, if you have a VERY small company and no more than 2 people are relevant, it could be acceptable.  If you have any manufacturing at your location, you must have enough staff to include more people (a representative each from management, quality, operations, sanitation/maintenance, etc.)

Hope this information is helpful!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users