Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

Hi, we are going to be introducing a camera to check the dates on tag labels. We have no experience of this.  To be compliant with 6.2.4 of BRC Food Safety standard we will have to 'test' the equipment at the beginning of the pack run, at the end of the packing run and during at a frequency based on risk. Can anyone give us some advice of best practice. Thanks, Classic

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

i have never used this technology.   

my take on it would be similar to checking a metal detector.   present a out of complaince printed date to the unti and ensure that it removes it / stop line, etc.  I don't think you nee dot get carried away, just be able to prove it works.  

from guidance

Good practice is to test the online vision system prior to commencing the packing run (e.g. by using alternating packs of both correct and incorrect packaging). Depending on the function of the vision system, incorrect packaging might include the wrong packaging, an incorrect date code or an obscured label. It is important that these test packs are clearly marked so that they cannot inadvertently enter the process flow.
The site must consider the procedures it would follow in the event of an equipment failure (e.g. a back-up plan).

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 102 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

My thoughts are (1) why do you need to do this? (2) Is this a CCP? Is there not another step or control that can verify the dates on the labels? My thoughts are the same as kingstudruler1- treat it like a MD. If it is a CCP, then frequencies are based on risk and that is how much are you comfortable putting on hold if at the end of the day the equipment is found not working. All this depends on your setup/ volume of labels produced. In my experience I had the line check equipment at start-up, after each break, and at the end of the day. Typically never went over 2 hrs of production without verifying, re-running product costs money as well as new labels/ packaging material. I'd see about another way to check dates before putting this equipment in production.

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users