• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should food fraud analysis also include finished goods?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
- - - - -

fouziak

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:01 PM

Hello everyone, for the food fraud analysis we have to be focused only in raw material, packaging ( all what we buy) or also what we produce? I saw in FSSC guidance that we should include the outgoing products. Do you know how please? Regards

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

Hi fouziak; Yes, finished products too - for intentional/unintentional tampering (e.g. intentional - by disgruntled employee or the one hired by competitors, unintentional - malfunctioning or uncalibrated equipment, lack of internal label control, etc.)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

Hello everyone,

For the food fraud analysis we have to be focused only in raw material, packaging ( all what we buy) or also what we produce?

i saw in FSSC guidance that we should include the outgoing products.

Do you know how please?

Regards

Hi fouziak,

I suggest you study the information provided in yr previous similar thread.

https://www.ifsqn.co...v5/#entry171836

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:04 PM

Hi fouziak; Yes, finished products too - for intentional/unintentional tampering (e.g. intentional - by disgruntled employee or the one hired by competitors, unintentional - malfunctioning or uncalibrated equipment, lack of internal label control, etc.)

Wouldn't that be 'food defense' and not 'food fraud'?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

Wouldn't that be 'food defense' and not 'food fraud'?

Well, kind of both :)

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:14 PM

Food Fraud for outgoing could also mean control of labels and packaging to prevent someone from creating a knock-off product with your packaging and labels.

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:12 PM

Hello everyone,

For the food fraud analysis we have to be focused only in raw material, packaging ( all what we buy) or also what we produce?

i saw in FSSC guidance that we should include the outgoing products.

Do you know how please?

Regards

Food Fraud is typically for "incoming materials". 

Food defense is for incoming and finished products (basically the entire supply chain).

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:12 PM

Food Fraud for outgoing could also mean control of labels and packaging to prevent someone from creating a knock-off product with your packaging and labels.

Yes good example!

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

AIB must be monitoring my posts, I just got an email for a class "What is the difference between food defense and food fraud"?

These targeted marketing things are getting crazy good..

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

AIB must be monitoring my posts, I just got an email for a class "What is the difference between food defense and food fraud"?

These targeted marketing things are getting crazy good..

Hey TimG, could you please share? Would be much appreciated!

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

Sure thing, email links to the blog below and their food defense training class.

I'll have to check out the blog when I get a chance, seems interesting..

https://www.aibinter...April 16, 2021)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

I was always told Food Fraud has to do with monetary gain from replacing with inferior, cheaper product or components, so it could include finished goods. For instance, if another company is selling a cheap knock off of your product with your name on it that's food fraud (finished goods) and it is YOUR responsibility to find and stop them. Food defense has to do with "defending" the safety of all incoming materials, processing and outgoing product to ensure there is no adulteration or other tampering that could affect safety.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:50 PM

It was suggested to us that we need to control our finished product inventory to prevent persons from trying to steal product to sell themselves and/or persons trying to re-label the product as a more expensive product.  (We had a trailer turn over one time and they had to send a security team out to the site to keep people from grabbing the product.  I would have never have thought of such a thing.)

You might also consider returned product to ensure persons are not returning a  different product to try to keep a better or more expensive product and possibly get a refund to boot.  The last suggestion is to consider any finished product rework you might produce to ensure the employees are not grouping products together or mislabeling the product to save on the margins as some products can be more expensive to produce than others.

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:06 PM

It was suggested to us that we need to control our finished product inventory to prevent persons from trying to steal product to sell themselves and/or persons trying to re-label the product as a more expensive product.  (We had a trailer turn over one time and they had to send a security team out to the site to keep people from grabbing the product.  I would have never have thought of such a thing.)

You might also consider returned product to ensure persons are not returning a  different product to try to keep a better or more expensive product and possibly get a refund to boot.  The last suggestion is to consider any finished product rework you might produce to ensure the employees are not grouping products together or mislabeling the product to save on the margins as some products can be more expensive to produce than others.

At my company we don't accept any returns that have been opened, i.e. tamper evidence opened.

I recently read an article about an ice cream company that had to destroy a bunch of off spec product for high TPC; their process was to give it to a local pig farmer as feed.  They didn't finish the destruction of it in a single day and left it overnight to come back and finish destruction the following day.  However, the employees of the pig farm decided to take and distribute the remaining ice cream for free; this caused the need for a uniquely localized recall.  Even though they didn't sell the ice cream, I think this would still qualify as a food fraud incident because it was product that was illegally in circulation.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:28 PM

Hi Scampi - We do not allow the use of any product that has been returned.  However, we do allow customers to return products to us if they have a complaint and once we have completed the investigation we send it to inedible/scrap.

The reason for the suggestion was that a friend worked at a company where a customer returned some products and the top few layers of the pallet returned had the product expected but the lower boxes of the pallet contained a similar looking but less expensive product packed in the boxes. Complaint was not for wrong product received. She said you could see where the boxes had been opened and re-taped over.  Made me think of the movies or TV Shows that have the bags of money where the top layers are real but the bottom ones are just paper.  Don't expect it to really happen but apparently someone tried.

I saw that article about the ice cream, it is a good example to bring up.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users