Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:43 PM

Hi all, how do you all plan to ensure specification changes are communicated? Do you email your sales reps and explain that this should be communicated upon a change? or is it more than an email? Could use some ideas. How about if you primary purchase from a distributor? 2.3.25 Site management shall require approved raw materials suppliers to notify the site of changes in product composition that could have an impact on product formulation (e.g., protein content, moisture, amino acid profiles, contaminant levels, allergens, and/or other parameters that may vary by crop or by season). Thanks! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:57 PM

Normally a part of the supplier approval process that requires the supplier to report (in writing) a pending specification change so that senior management/QA can research and approve /accept the change.

Considering this is from an approved supplier already you need to inform the supplier they are required to send you advance notice of a spec change for review, impact on your product formulations, labeling, etc. 

1 little spec change can really muck things up and thus a formal process is needed to learn about the change and see what may/may not need to changed on your end and then once all checks are completed either acceptance or rejection with senior management sign-off.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:54 PM

Hey Ral:

How about if you primary purchase from a distributor? 

I will address that one, as it comes up frequently for me at the manufacturer level.

You will most likely have to get something in writing from your distributor that they will inform you of any changes, or you will have to set up a program to review all CoA prior to acceptance. Being a manufacturer of product that goes through several large distributors, and then to hundreds of their customers, I take no responsibility with the end user that I will keep them apprised of changes to our process or specifications. Our product managers inform the purchasers (our customers) working for the distributor, and that's where it ends for us. It's then up to the distributor to carry the torch if required.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:30 PM

Thank you both! 

Share this