• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to handle Chemical Storage?

Share this

Best Answer , 06 May 2021 - 04:00 PM

Just to add to this one:

Do I need to put some/all of them in a yellow steel cabinet?

I believe the yellow steel cabinet you are referencing is a flammable cabinet? That wouldn't really be an SQF/food safety thing, although they COULD give you a finding if they are familiar with the regulatory requirement and you are in violation. It would be an OSHA/NFPA compliance requirement. I'd suggest doing some searches on the requirements with NFPA (OSHA typically defers to them) to find out if you have flammable liquids in the quantities (Cat 1-3 have different gallon requirements/restrictions and you might need several compliant cabinets) they require to be maintained in complaint flammable storage containers.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Gshurtleff

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

Hello all, I am trying to build a HACCP plan and get SQF Certified for the small honey company. Right now I have all of my chemicals stored in one locking, metal, grey cabinet. That includes all of my FDA approved chemicals for my production as well as any other chemicals the Grounds/Maintenance/Inventory Manager uses. Things like pressure washer fluid, bleach, ant killer, etc. Do I need to separate the chemicals? Do I need to put some/all of them in a yellow steel cabinet? Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

You need to REMOVE the pressure washer fluid/ant killer  etc from the building completely  or at the very least, in a maintenance or office area (still under lock and key)  It's too easy for a mistake to happen OR a disgruntled employee to have access to them when they are all stored together

Items like bleach need to be in a secure locked cabinet

You'll probably want some sort of spill containment system as well, you can buy spill kits, and they are sized by the amount of spill you'd expect in worst case scenario

The ant killer is an issue, because GFSI are going to require a pest control plan, and will want proof of capabilities/training  If you move them out of the production area, you won't have an audit peeking at them

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:00 PM   Best Answer

Just to add to this one:

Do I need to put some/all of them in a yellow steel cabinet?

I believe the yellow steel cabinet you are referencing is a flammable cabinet? That wouldn't really be an SQF/food safety thing, although they COULD give you a finding if they are familiar with the regulatory requirement and you are in violation. It would be an OSHA/NFPA compliance requirement. I'd suggest doing some searches on the requirements with NFPA (OSHA typically defers to them) to find out if you have flammable liquids in the quantities (Cat 1-3 have different gallon requirements/restrictions and you might need several compliant cabinets) they require to be maintained in complaint flammable storage containers.

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:02 PM

Do you separate food grade maintenance chemicals (e.g. lubricants) from non-food grade?

Gshurtleff

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

I was able to completely remove everything except my FDA approved chemicals and put them in another building. I believe I will have to get a separate yellow fire cabinet for those. This may sound obtuse, but do the chemicals that i removed to another building still go on my Chemical Inventory List? 

Gshurtleff

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

Do you separate food grade maintenance chemicals (e.g. lubricants) from non-food grade ones

note taken, thanks. I did that

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

I was able to completely remove everything except my FDA approved chemicals and put them in another building. I believe I will have to get a separate yellow fire cabinet for those. This may sound obtuse, but do the chemicals that i removed to another building still go on my Chemical Inventory List? 

Whatever you use for cleaning/sanitizing, maintenance, boiler, etc. should be on your Chemical List, regardless where you store those chemicals.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users