Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:31 AM

Hi there, does ISO 22000 require cleaning chemicals to be food grade? I cannot find the reference for this requirement. I work for a warehouse where food (finished goods) are stored and we have McDonald`s, RBI and ISO 22000 standards and cannot find a reference that required cleaning chemicals to be food grade. So, is that means we do not require to use food grade chemicals for cleaning? Note that there is not manufacturing process, it is just storage. Thank you, Tiago

Jayce

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:20 AM

Hi Tiago , 

Actually I dont think there is food grade cleaning chemical. but just food safe .

It also means it is safe if accidentally consume a little / there is residue on the surface food contact surface (based on the limitation on FDA regulation). 

Does ISO 22000 require cleaning chemicals to be food grade? There is no specific requirement. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong. =)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 326 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:12 AM

Greetings Tiago,

The cleaning chemicals being food grade is not worded specifically in standards but it is a good practice requirement and often an inspection authorities requirement as I have yet to encounter inspectors who haven't asked about food grade chemicals. The concept of food grade does not apply only to food contact but also to the chemicals not being corrosive in any way to the packaging or maybe not have a strong odor that could affect packaged foods with "breathing" openings (eg fresh strawberry packages often have small holes so as not to allow the humidity to increase and make it easier for molds to grow).

Packaged goods warehouses can possibly be less strict but you should still check if and how chemicals can affect the products as in the examples above.

Regards.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

Sanitizing compounds are a part of the cleaning process and in the US are regulated by 21 CFR part 178.1010 , PAA being a good example of a sanitizer commonly used in many plants. Detergents however only need be used per mfg label in order to be considered applicable in a food plant.

Additionally, NSF classifies many antimicrobial compounds with a no rinse application (E3, D2) and some solvent cleaners (e.g. coil cleaners).

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users