Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

Hello, I make pickled vegetables in brine, we use Sodium Benzoate, potassium sorbate, calcium chloride. A potential customer wants to remove the preservatives and have the product heat treated, would anyone know the potential issues before I get too deep in this? As always thank you for your time.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:29 PM

I've got no experience in pickling, but you will potentially have yeast/mold problems without those preservatives.  It is dependent on your heat treatment, environmental air quality, and overall GMP's.

You may consider reducing shelf-life as well depending on risk assessment.

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 111 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:55 PM

In case you haven't you should check the CFR for acidified foods regulations on heating and schedule process.  Agreed about potential yeast/mold, depending on the pH.  

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:43 PM

In case you haven't you should check the CFR for acidified foods regulations on heating and schedule process.  Agreed about potential yeast/mold, depending on the pH.  

This ^.  it appears you should have a scheduled process and changes only to made by process authority.   if you fall into this category, there are many regulations that shall be followed.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

Yes, your scheduled process will have to be reviewed and probably revised if you remove the sodium benzoate.  The other two are used for a crisper pickle--although the jury is out on that one

I worked at an organic pickling company--zero preservatives but a higher acetic acid percentage.  Followed a scheduled process and we never had issues with yeast/mold--that will only happen if: A) you don't follow the recipe to a T, B) you try and short cut the process or C) caps are not on correctly

There is also a push to get pickles into a hot fill and hold position to reduce the heat exposure........

NOTE: the biggest obstacle to your finished product is most likely the time from harvest to jar------at that location the produce was harvested by noon and in a jar by 7 at night

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SODIUM BENZOATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users