Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

So I'm writing a HACCP Plan for herbs and spices. We purchase spices, blend and package them  This isn't my forte since we are a coffee roaster. For CCPs I'm thinking to select foreign material (although the control would only be visual inspection; we don't have a metal detector) and supplier CoAs (all of our suppliers do micro testing).  In your opinion is this acceptable?  No allergens at our site.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

I don't think visual inspection for foreign materials is CCP, just a QC check. You have to assess your processes to determine your CCPs, if any, OPRPs, etc.

FSQA MKE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 15 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Environmental Monitoring, FSVP, HACCP, Microbiology, Food Safety, Literature, Tennis, GFSI Solutions

Posted 18 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

If you're just repacking, it may be possible you have no CCPs.

As olenazh stated above, this is more of a pre-requisite program. In order to deem a step a CCP, it must be measurable like temperature, pH, etc.

You are still responsible for documenting these checks.

A visual inspection is suitable for this operation, yes.

Providing solutions for food manufacturing companies in achieving regulatory compliance, GFSI standard implementation, environmental monitoring solutions, and HACCP development.

foodsafety@email.com

https://foodsafetymuse.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:34 PM

So I'm writing a HACCP Plan for herbs and spices.  We purchase spices, blend and package them  This isn't my forte since we are a coffee roaster.  For CCPs I'm thinking to select foreign material (although the control would only be visual inspection; we don't have a metal detector) and supplier CoAs (all of our suppliers do micro testing).  In your opinion is this acceptable?  No allergens at our site.

Hi Patricia,

^^^(red) - acceptable to whom ?, eg is there an audit Standard involved ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

emcdonald

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

You might not have any CCPs, or you may, depending on your specific process, but there is no need to implement them just to have them.  You have to conduct a process hazard analysis and raw material hazard analysis to determine which are needed.

Supplier COAs will not be a CCP, as this is not a process step.  Also, if you can't control metal hazards through other means, you may need a metal detector. Not having one already is not a reason for it not to be a CCP.  I'm also not sure how you'd visually inspect for foreign materials in a spice blend... this would not work as a CCP since you can't visually inspect 100% of the product... you'd only be able to see large/obvious foreign materials that don't blend in color-wise with the spices and if they're visible on the surface of the product (i.e. not buried within a pile of spices).

We have a dry blending operation and our only CCP is a screen on top of the blender that we check before and after blending, to control for foreign materials. The screen size (#4 mesh) is based on FDA foreign material limits.  We have foreign material controls built throughout our process/pre-requisite programs, including inspecting our equipment before and after blending to ensure metal fragments aren't introduced from the equipment during blending.  Therefore, we determined through our risk assessment that metal detection wasn't necessary. 

Hope this is helpful. It's hard to say what would be necessary as a CCP without having knowledge of your specific processes, products, and raw materials.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

You might not have any CCPs, or you may, depending on your specific process, but there is no need to implement them just to have them.  You have to conduct a process hazard analysis and raw material hazard analysis to determine which are needed.

Supplier COAs will not be a CCP, as this is not a process step.  Also, if you can't control metal hazards through other means, you may need a metal detector. Not having one already is not a reason for it not to be a CCP I'm also not sure how you'd visually inspect for foreign materials in a spice blend... this would not work as a CCP since you can't visually inspect 100% of the product... you'd only be able to see large/obvious foreign materials that don't blend in color-wise with the spices and if they're visible on the surface of the product (i.e. not buried within a pile of spices).

We have a dry blending operation and our only CCP is a screen on top of the blender that we check before and after blending, to control for foreign materials. The screen size (#4 mesh) is based on FDA foreign material limits.  We have foreign material controls built throughout our process/pre-requisite programs, including inspecting our equipment before and after blending to ensure metal fragments aren't introduced from the equipment during blending.  Therefore, we determined through our risk assessment that metal detection wasn't necessary. 

Hope this is helpful. It's hard to say what would be necessary as a CCP without having knowledge of your specific processes, products, and raw materials.

Hi emcdonald,

Thks for input.

Sieving has always been a haccp contest between CCP/PRP. Sometimes the context favours one over the other.

^^^(red) - Really ? Perhaps a phantom CCP.

Some texts suggest that if a sieve is considered to be a CCP, the critical limit is that the sieve must be visually undamaged, ie working correctly. It's subjective of course.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

emcdonald

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:17 PM

Hi emcdonald,

Thks for input.

Sieving has always been a haccp contest between CCP/PRP. Sometimes the context favours one over the other.

^^^(red) - Really ? Perhaps a phantom CCP.

Some texts suggest that if a sieve is considered to be a CCP, the critical limit is that the sieve must be visually undamaged, ie working correctly. It's subjective of course.

Charles, What I meant, where you highlighted red, is the original poster can't determine that metal detection will not be a CCP simply because they don't own a metal detector already.  If metal fragments is identified as a hazard that could only be adequately controlled via metal detection, then the company would have to install a metal detector.

Regarding the screen, the critical limit has to be measurable, so for ours it's the mesh size of the screen.  Checking that the screen is visually undamaged and working correctly is the monitoring portion. At least that's how ours is set up.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

Charles, What I meant, where you highlighted red, is the original poster can't determine that metal detection will not be a CCP simply because they don't own a metal detector already.  If metal fragments is identified as a hazard that could only be adequately controlled via metal detection, then the company would have to install a metal detector.

Regarding the screen, the critical limit has to be measurable, so for ours it's the mesh size of the screen.  Checking that the screen is visually undamaged and working correctly is the monitoring portion. At least that's how ours is set up.

Hi emcdonald,

^^^ (blue/red) Various spice options seem to be available  -

Attached File  Spice Cleaning Equipment.pdf   66.57KB   48 downloads

JFI here is a more generic decision tree for requiring/avoiding a metal detector

Attached File  metal detection tree.pdf   216.15KB   50 downloads

Some Kraft viewpoints regarding the haccp handling of extraneous materials are attached below. The interpretations of some aspects may be subjective.

Attached File  Handling of Extraneous Materials as PRP- CCP.pdf   173.35KB   52 downloads

Attached File  Handling of Extraneous Material by Metal Detector-X-Ray as CCP.pdf   426.98KB   42 downloads

Attached File  Handling of Extraneous Material by Filter-Sieve as CCP.pdf   350.66KB   53 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users