Cthulhu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Video Games, Sci-fi, Geology, Rockhounding, Museums, Meteorology, Natural Disasters, Cthulhu Mythos, Board games, Card games.

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

Hello all, I'm working on creating Startup/in process packaging check forms and some of the TJ's audit checklist seems........excessively bloated? TJ's audit checklist states this: Ongoing Monitoring During Production Run - Is each new case/roll of packaging opened physically checked against the current posted visual aid to verify accuracy and the check documented? We sometimes have 50-75k units for a batch run and our packaging cases are in quantities of 1,000. Do I really need to have a form with upwards of 75 checks of Yes/No for a case being opened? I understand it reads that way, but this seems.....a bit much? Also they have other checks for product start ups and changeovers that are very similar but need to be broken up into multiple checks and it states they have to be separate checks. An example - Has foreign packaging/product been removed from the previous run check isn't good enough. The TJ's audit checklist wants these,  is the line clear of previous packaging, is there any stray packaging, has unused packaging been removed from the area, and unfinished cases of finished product been removed? Obviously these checks aren't difficult, but these checks are making some of these forms a little bloated. Am I misunderstanding these requirements and there's no need me to make so much paperwork, or am I just complaining about what everyone has probably already complained about  :rofl2:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

https://www.facebook...29416493974293/

https://www.instagra...m/area51miners/

FoodSafetyAPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:27 PM

Hello. 

I understand your frustration, where do you draw the line!

I'm not sure what to advise, but this is what we do...

We have a raw materials acceptance procedure - this states the criteria for incoming packaging 

We have a specification file on the factory floor with up to date packaging specs and visuals 

We check each production line (15) x1 an hour, which includes a packaging check

We have a checklist for changeover of product, (clearance of packaging and product etc.) but not for changeover of packaging (the product is the same for several packaging variations) 

We have an annual check of warehouse stock against specification against artwork 

- Is each new case/roll of packaging opened physically checked against the current posted visual aid to verify accuracy and the check documented? 

I personally would have thought acceptance / approval on intake and documented training in packaging procedures would be sufficient, along with regular checks (e.g. hourly or at the start of each different packaging run) 

I think there is a fine line between what needs to be documented and what is simply just on-the-job procedure!

Is this documented packaging check to check for contamination / foreign body or to check that it is in specification? 

Cthulhu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Video Games, Sci-fi, Geology, Rockhounding, Museums, Meteorology, Natural Disasters, Cthulhu Mythos, Board games, Card games.

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:37 PM

Is this documented packaging check to check for contamination / foreign body or to check that it is in specification? 

This is what in had in mind for on-going packaging checks. 30 minutes plus/minus 5 minutes and they would check the controlled document to make sure they had the correct packaging(using the visual aid), the lot code is printed correctly, the expiration date is printed correctly, the case pack info is correct, and they would also weight the package to make sure the fill weights were above the minimum weight on the package.

Date Time                                                             Acceptable?       Actual Fill Weight                     (grams) Initials Correct Packaging Lot Number Expiration Date Case Pack Info     YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO    

EDIT: sorry about this above formatting, it didn't copy paste looking like that in the post, but it is all garbled and messed up now. Basically it was a form that you right date time and initials and you circle Yes/No for the headings. Packaging/Lot number/Exp date/case pack info/ and then you weigh the finished product for the fill weight and write the weight in.

I can add another check to compare the visual aid to the newly opened case but I'm going to have to make it on a different sheet/form because they won't be corresponding to the half hour checks and again, there could be upwards to 75 of those checks.

I also have them do a incoming inspection on all packaging we receive, and I made the visual aids out of copies of final specifications of the packaging by printing them out and laminating them so they can be attached to the actual packaging machine.

For part of the start up changeover audit checklist. These literally seem they could be 1,2 or 3 checks and not 8 separate checks.

Is there a documented check that the line is cleared of all prior products from the previous run?

Is there a documented check that all incomplete cases of finished packaged product left over at the end of run have been removed from production area and properly stored?

Is there a documented check that all stray packaging has been cleared from the entire line? (i.e. QA samples, packaging hung up on equipment, debris on floor etc.)

Is there a documented check that excess unused labels and packaging for any prior product have been removed from the vicinity of the production line and properly stored?

Is there a documented check that packaging and labels loaded into equipment have been removed?

Is the changeover of a label visual aid (i.e. line marker, label standard, placard, etc.) to demonstrate change from current packaging/label to new packaging/label documented?

Is packaging to be used/loaded into equipment checked against a label visual aid (i.e. label standard, placard, etc.) and the check documented.

Is each new case/roll of packaging opened physically checked against the current posted visual aid to verify accuracy and the check documented?

Edited by QAFSerik, 21 May 2021 - 02:40 PM.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

https://www.facebook...29416493974293/

https://www.instagra...m/area51miners/

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users