• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do food manufacturers sterilize the food packaging prior to use?

Share this

Best Answer , 26 May 2021 - 05:53 PM

It depends on the packaging material and the application.  For sensitive products that have a long shelf-life the packaging will likely be sanitized or sterilized.  I've been a quality manager at an extended shelf-life dairy / beverage manufacturer and we sterilized our packaging just prior to filling done at the filler in a HEPA environment.  This is also normal for aseptic filling processes as any bit of potential contamination on the package will affect the shelf-life severely during ambient storage.

The other process where sanitizing is used is caps in beverage applications.  The capping equipment and process is generally not "as clean" as the filling equipment itself so many processes will sanitize their caps just prior to application with a sanitize chemical, ozone, or even UV.

MOST processes and facilities DO NOT sanitize or sterilize packaging.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

saraclemens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:45 PM

Hello, my staff (from Sales to Shipping) have been lead to believe that the food manufacturers are sterilizing almost all of the food packaging prior to use. I have been told otherwise, which the purpose of HACCP and GMPs in our facility. We do processing with direct contact food packaging. I am hearing it so often and from so many sources, I am wondering if there is actually any truth to this. Do food manufacturers sterilize the food packaging prior to use and if so, does everyone or just some? Thank you, Sara

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 May 2021 - 04:45 PM

If you are hearing this from so many sources, why not ask your sources if it is true and why they are doing it.

Sorry, to be blunt - but that is where I'd go first.

In secondary response - I know of no packaging nor food packager that sanitizes their packaging - with the exception of hot steam blowout of bottles and jars, really not meant to sanitize but to get any particles out prior to filling.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:36 PM

Hi Sara, welcome to our Forum! The only thing I could think would be re-usable glass bottles or jars. We use plastic bottles & cups to pack our our products, and we've never sterilized them. My other customer, ice cream manufacturer, uses plastic pails/cups - the same idea, no sterilization.

saraclemens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:40 PM

Thank you for the replies! 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:53 PM   Best Answer

It depends on the packaging material and the application.  For sensitive products that have a long shelf-life the packaging will likely be sanitized or sterilized.  I've been a quality manager at an extended shelf-life dairy / beverage manufacturer and we sterilized our packaging just prior to filling done at the filler in a HEPA environment.  This is also normal for aseptic filling processes as any bit of potential contamination on the package will affect the shelf-life severely during ambient storage.

The other process where sanitizing is used is caps in beverage applications.  The capping equipment and process is generally not "as clean" as the filling equipment itself so many processes will sanitize their caps just prior to application with a sanitize chemical, ozone, or even UV.

MOST processes and facilities DO NOT sanitize or sterilize packaging.

Thanked by 1 Member:

saraclemens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:11 PM

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to me. I always assume direct contact is direct contact, however, I have been wrong before! The source of this belief may have been from one of our product lines being a dairy and that may have spread through to the rest. 

Thanks again! 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sterilization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users