Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:26 AM

Hi Folks, a newbie on here! So hello to you all :ejut: I'm currently working for a company working towards BRC accreditation. Looking for a wee bit of advice? Clause 4.8.4 in regards to handwashing facilities. Our Current handwashing facilities are in toilets,canteen and have a double sink in factory (not hands free operated). We have hand sanitisers at all entrances to factory. This is the first time ive worked for a company that doesnt have hand washing facilities before you enter factory. Would this be deemed as a major NC?Thanks in advance, Neil

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

That clause is pretty clear about having hand washing "at access to", and having hands-free sinks.

Sanitisers definitely aren't an equivalent alternative, and indeed this is confirmed in the Interpretation Guide.

The Interpretation Guide does hint at there being some limited scope in "low risk" operations for hand washing facilities to be in a "changing room or toilet", but the IG isn't itself auditable, and in the event of any disagreement it is the standard rather than the IG that prevails.

To an extent the scale of the NC is at the auditor's discretion (albeit subject to technical review), but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going into an audit with this setup, even in low-risk environment.

Are the taps in the toilets and canteen hands-free? If not, then that isn't going to make your life any easier I'm afraid!

neilmac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Don't have any hands free taps, The business is at the very start of this journey tbh and this is all very new for them

We are low risk  but you have confirmed my thinking on this.

Capex time I think

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Don't have any hands free taps, The business is at the very start of this journey tbh and this is all very new for them

We are low risk  but you have confirmed my thinking on this.

Capex time I think

I don't think automatic taps with proximity sensors are too expensive. You can consider to equip one at each sink. They will last for years; so that in the POV of depreciable assets, they look cheap.

Red text: It sounds like an overconfidence & a bit of conflict to me. IMEX, touchless taps have become a norm in FS.

Edited by beautiophile, 05 July 2021 - 01:43 AM.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

I don't think automatic taps with proximity sensors are too expensive. You can consider to equip one at each sink. They will last for years; so that in the POV of depreciable assets, they look cheap.

^This. You won't find much that requires so little CapEx - you can pick up an automatic tap for around £100 each, or entire knee-operated sinks start at under £150 if you did want to add one/some at the entrance to production. 

neilmac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

Thanks both for your input, I will have a look at taps although my preference is to install a trough at the entrance to the factory, it has always been there as standard in my previous employments.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users