Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:43 PM

A couple of questions: Do you use Simple Green for sanitation purposes? What test strips are you using to test solution? Brand? How are your workers sanitizing gloves at end of day? We were previously using a bleach solution but were instructed to find a different solution. What test strips do you use to test solution? Appreciate all of your help! I am new to this position so trying to learn as much as possible. 

YNA QA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 17 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Crochet, Reading, Animals, Football

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

At my previous employer I implemented cleaning AND sanitizing with Simple Green products.

They have a product that is NSF approved for cleaning and one that is NSF approved for sanitizing.  The cleaner was tested with a refractometer for proper concentration and the sanitizer used quat strips.

I reached out to Simple Green personally and asked them which products were approved for food use, then I obtained SDS and TDS sheets along with proper dilution techniques and required concentrations for cleaning, and then we bought everything via Amazon.

NO auditor had an issue after the first auditor who saw it flipped out and tried to give us a major for it not being NSF approved.  Luckily that info is pretty readily available on the bottle, and I kept the email and TDS/SDS in our HACCP binder bc I anticipated such questions as Simple Green in a food facility was new to me.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:24 AM

A couple of questions:

Do you use Simple Green for sanitation purposes? What test strips are you using to test solution? Brand? 

How are your workers sanitizing gloves at end of day? We were previously using a bleach solution but were instructed to find a different solution. What test strips do you use to test solution?

Appreciate all of your help! I am new to this position so trying to learn as much as possible. 

Is there a FS Standard involved ?

Product ?

process?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:14 PM

I too have used simple green (when in an organic facility) and was not able to get strips or a titration kit-----------just posted the dilution instructions, trained all required and included a sign off for proper dilution when used

you could use a quat for glove dips but man that stuff is slippery

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:01 PM

We have a client that uses Simple Green and we plan to use ourselves at our our new facility in Florida - our client simply contacted Simple Green and they provided them with direction in this area that fit quite nicely.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

IsazahK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2022 - 01:05 AM

At my previous employer I implemented cleaning AND sanitizing with Simple Green products.

They have a product that is NSF approved for cleaning and one that is NSF approved for sanitizing.  The cleaner was tested with a refractometer for proper concentration and the sanitizer used quat strips.

I reached out to Simple Green personally and asked them which products were approved for food use, then I obtained SDS and TDS sheets along with proper dilution techniques and required concentrations for cleaning, and then we bought everything via Amazon.

NO auditor had an issue after the first auditor who saw it flipped out and tried to give us a major for it not being NSF approved.  Luckily that info is pretty readily available on the bottle, and I kept the email and TDS/SDS in our HACCP binder bc I anticipated such questions as Simple Green in a food facility was new to me.

First off thank you for providing this information.

Secondly, I just want to clarify some of the things you mentioned in your response. The NSF approved cleaner, is that particular cleaner the Crystal Simple Green? And for the refractometer, what type? I know the refractometer is method of measuring titration of dilutions and i've contacted Simple Green's manufacture for more information in regards to parameters of results to determine accuracy of dilutions specifications.

We recently had our audit for the year and this was an aspect we hadn't implemented into our SSOP so we are trying to tackle this without completely changing the chemical cleaners we currently use. 

Any information you have to share will be greatly appreciated. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 21 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

Curious, is the Simple Green sanitizer Organic no-rinse approved?  Or, does it require a rinse prior to starting organic production?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users