Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

Microbial growth on flavour mix


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Zaynab

    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
0
Neutral

  • Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

Hi all, should I be worried about microbial growth on flavour mix. We always premix our flavour with water before using them and sometimes we leave it to sit for like 2 hours or more before we get to use them. I'm worried about time-temperature abuse on the flavour mix that could lead microbial growth, the ingredients of the flavour are potato maltodextrin, sugar, sunflower oil, potassium phosphate, modified tapioca starch, arabic gum, citric acid, silicon dioxide, ascorbic acid. Thank you.



bnue

    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 18 thanks
5
Neutral

  • United States
    United States
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Badminton, reading, music, & spending quality time with family

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Hi All,

should i be worried about microbial growth on flavour mix. We always premix our flavour with water before using them and sometimes we leave it to sit for like 2 hours or more before we get to use them. I'm worried about time-temperature abuse on the flavour mix that could lead microbial growth,

The ingredients of the flavour are potato maltodextrin, sugar, sunflower oil, potassium phosphate, modified tapioca starch, arabic gum, citric acid, silicon dioxide, ascorbic acid. Thank you

Hey Ola I have seen challenge studies on flavors, both liquid and powders and found that liquids do not provide a conducive environment for microbes but in powders, if contaminated, they can survive for about 7 days without any additional nutrients. If you are following GMP's and there is no potential for contamination between the time you make the solution to the time you use it, you should be good. As a verification, if feasible, you could send a small sample of this solution to a third party lab for micro analysis. Hope this helps till more knowledgeable folks provide their input.



Thanked by 1 Member:

Ted S

    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 23 thanks
17
Good

  • United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:49 PM

Hi Ola. It depends on the final pH and Water Activity of the flavor mix, and if it is homogeneous when mixed. Worst case is that the pH and Aw is too high, you still would have two hours maximum before it needs to be used or placed in a refrigerator. On the other hand, if the pH and Aw are low enough to prevent pathogens from growing, airborne yeast and mold can still be a problem as they thrive in low pH and Aw systems. If the final product will not receive a kill step, the yeast/mold could present a problem in the finished product.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users