• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do ALL ingredients on-site need to be listed in Product Specification Ingredient Lists?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:32 PM

Good afternoon IFSQN, I am new to the food safety position, and working to improve traceability before our next audit (1 month away). My question is : Does every item on site need to be documented in the product specifications & ingredients lists? We occasionally use our kitchen for product testing, so there are a lot of one-off ingredients. Will I need to document every ingredient, or just the ones being used for retail manufacturing? I am about 1.5 days in, and have already gone from 33 product spec sheets to over 110. I'm sure by the time someone responds I will have found 10 new ingredients hiding in the warehouse. Please let me know what the best course of action would be. I doubt upper management will be happy to obtain Letters of Guarantee and 3rd Party Audit Results for a single 15oz can, but I am just trying to follow the rules. Thank you.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:08 PM

You shouldn't have to count R & D items. That being said - our R & D items are either stored on separate shelves in the facility and labeled R & D or are in the R&D office

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:24 PM

Agree with above poster

R&D items are not included, but should be sequestered from actual manufacturing materials

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:26 PM

Okay, great. Organization is one of our areas for improvement. We are also trying to rearrange the warehouse for better allergen control. I could do it myself with an afternoon and a pallet jack, but I am supposed to delegate.  

I will see if we can make a dedicated shelf for R&D. Thank you

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:41 PM

Okay, great. Organization is one of our areas for improvement. We are also trying to rearrange the warehouse for better allergen control. I could do it myself with an afternoon and a pallet jack, but I am supposed to delegate.  

I will see if we can make a dedicated shelf for R&D. Thank you

If not a shelf - then a tub labeled R & D would work as well. You want to make sure no one grabs anything from there and uses it in production. For example, our R & D will bring in similar but different ingredients/brands to test. Many times, these items don't have the same ingredient statement - even in spices.

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:54 PM

Great point. I hope I can get all of the rearranging done before our next audit. Last month's didn't go great, and other departments are in no hurry to finish their corrective actions. The food safety culture is another area we are working on. One thing at a time, right?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users