• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do scales specifically designated for shipping need to be checked daily?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

wmlacey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2021 - 04:34 PM

A quick question: Do scales specifically designated for shipping need to be checked daily? We calibrate all our scales quarterly by an outside calibration service (including the shipping scales) and run daily checks on all the scales used in production. Our company has been doing it this way for a number of years and the auditor has never mentioned it. Just want to see if we maybe have gotten very lucky here or if this is acceptable given production scales are checked every day prior to work starting. Thank you. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

You're good, as long as  those scales are not used for trade (i.e. sale by weight) then quarterly is plenty

if you are using them for trade, then perhaps add them/it to a weekly verification (not calibration)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 August 2021 - 11:09 PM

You're good, as long as  those scales are not used for trade (i.e. sale by weight) then quarterly is plenty

if you are using them for trade, then perhaps add them/it to a weekly verification (not calibration)

I've always been confused on what "for trade" means. If they're shipping it, they're most likely selling it, and scales measure weight. Isn't the most likely explanation that this involves "sale by weight"? I know I'm missing something. Help me out Scamps!

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:41 AM

I've always been confused on what "for trade" means. If they're shipping it, they're most likely selling it, and scales measure weight. Isn't the most likely explanation that this involves "sale by weight"? I know I'm missing something. Help me out Scamps!

John,

If the weight registered by the shipping scale is used for billing purposes then in most states it is required to be sealed by local weights and measures dept. This is what is meant by most parlance "for trade" "not for trade" or "condemned" (you have seen such seals on gas pumps). Check with your local municipality. 

As far as verification frequency, the burden is really on you. As far as I know, there is no frequency established in the US, with the exception of falling under the category of "process control instruments" then you would verify calibration at least once daily prior to operations, unless the device manufacturer can provide assurances that a lesser frequency is needed.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:58 PM

Agree with Slab

For use in trade means the measuring device is used to create the bill of sale-----------it's a consumer protection issue-------so we all get what we pay for

If your using the scale for inhouse purposes only (verifying weights at receipt, weighing out batches) then your frequency can be whatever the company is comfortable

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users