• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:20 PM

Hi

I am in a very frustrating place currently as well as others.

Labour is a big issue at the moment where we are short and currently all QMS, Prerequisites are not being followed, priority is just to get the work out as quick as possible no matter what.

I have said that this is not and should be not an excuse to ignore the food safety plan as we are a ticking time bomb and this is ready to explode.

QMS

Hygiene

Process control

is just not being followed and I don't know what to do

We have 159 Non conformances outstanding as operations will not complete

What to do

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:46 PM

The scale of the issue you're facing suggests that it might be time to look for new employment?
It's not an easy decision, as many of us seem to take the job quite seriously and personally, but an outstanding list of NCs as long as the one you have would seem to suggest that management commitment is pitifully low.

I can sympathise with the general problem - finding staff at the moment is very hard, and there is a lot of pressure to fulfil orders - but that is no excuse for such apparent desertion of basic good practice.

I'd make sure you have a log of what actions you've tried to take, just to cover yourself from any potential repercussions, then check the CV is up to date and run for the door.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:49 PM

Have you tried talking to upper management about this? I suggest planning a meeting and have all those big people in charge and discuss the importance of this. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 129 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:50 PM

159? That must be incredibly frustrating and overwhelming. I'm sorry you are dealing with that.

I've had success with the "Alright I'll do it myself then" argument. Other departments don't want to do the extra tasks I request.

But they REALLY don't want me in their work areas every day moving things, cleaning equipment, or explaining protocol to them.

If nothing changes, bring it up to management and know you’ve done the best you can.

I know how you feel. This job has enough responsibilities without trying to play babysitter for other departments.

Good luck, and if all else fails, not all companies are like this… :headhurts:

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:54 PM

Hi All

I have brought it up with management.........

I am part of the Senior Management team and I have spoke to middle management in daily ops meetings and also in management meetings, fat lot of good they are. The thing is the MD and ops manager (if you can call him this) are  to much buddy buddy and he runs to the MD crying.

So I can not go any higher than this!

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:56 PM

I am also told when I complete monthly audits and raise non conformances that I need to come up with the solutions......

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

Run-run away

Because of the labour situation, you're in the best possible situation to look for a new workplace

159 NCs means that they are two steps away from a recall situation (based on sheer lack of understanding of how food safety works)

The only real card you could play is a call to the regulatory body in your geographic location...............

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

As some mentioned above, make sure you keep a paper trail (email trail is fine) of any warnings you've sent to management for food safety issues, especially ones that could turn litigatory. If you do this in email, BCC this to a personal email address and toss it in a file somewhere that the company does not have access. Even if your company has strict policy against keeping these types of emails on personal devices, at this point you are trying to CYA, so it shouldn't be an issue as long as you are keeping it for that. However, I will caution you against using any of those emails to defame (post on social media, etc.) the company, as THAT could backfire on you.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQA MKE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 15 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Environmental Monitoring, FSVP, HACCP, Microbiology, Food Safety, Literature, Tennis, GFSI Solutions

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:49 PM

Are CCP failures being ignored as well? Absolutely no FSQA monitoring?  If so, document everything. Secure employment elsewhere, jump ship, you don't owe this Company anything.

Providing solutions for food manufacturing companies in achieving regulatory compliance, GFSI standard implementation, environmental monitoring solutions, and HACCP development.

foodsafety@email.com

https://foodsafetymuse.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:07 AM

Hi astro,

I can strongly relate to your predicament, I won't detail too much on my place but safe to say we are having the same issues with production being prioritised over QMS, outstanding NCs and many Tech tasks not being completed due to QAs being sent down to help on the line as production as short staffed. I've tried everything I can think of to address it and done crazy hours the past few months (hence AWOL here) to try keep up with Tech commitments but I've come to conclude the culture won't change and if I can't do anything to help it I certainly don't want to be around when the 'time bomb' explodes.

I've made the decision to leave, and have my first interview elsewhere today. It's a sad state of affairs as I built up a team over the past year, put a lot of effort into he company during tough times and for the first year I was thinking "finally, I've found a place that does put food safety first". Alas my search continues!

I hope it works out for you whether you end up staying or leaving, but as I've concluded lately a line has to be drawn somewhere, and a decision from the top that production trumps our basic food safety requirements is not something I can agree with.

FSFreak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:11 AM

This is so recognizable among many companies and fortunately we have additional support from certification schemes. Many companies take the gamble with the legal requirements and obligations, because it does not have an immediate impact or consequences unless there is a recall. This is pure gambling until things really go wrong.
Unexpected audits from CIs with threats of certificate revocation have financial and sales consequences. Unfortunately, financial threats are easier recognized rather than legal.

What I often do is make responsibility in these matters very clear to senior management and often use a nice picture of Parnell on the way to court.

bottom of the picture the text: "From successful to Jail".

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:55 AM

Hi

I have given my all as when I first joined they were a grade B (BRC) I got them then to an A then from there a AA where i had strived to improve the place building a secure Food Safety Plan with strong procedures in place. This place has great potential but for some reason just wants to take more work on when we are at breaking point. I don't get it why they want to do this, surely they should have a cut off point but who am I to comment.

I think they are using staff issues as an excuse to bypass all things when in fact in management and lazyness which needs addressing. When you look at the factory floor and see people wandering around , leaving the factory floor, excess people on packing point you think to yourself WTF........

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for all your comments, I have taken on board what you've said.

I am currently looking at new roles preferable better ones which don't have this issue with Labour and where anything goes which may be hoping for. Honestly to travel 120 miles a day to knowing what I am going to walk into! i think it's time as I understand the issues but I don't want to be a part of it when it goes PETE TONG!!

tinytina3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

Enable GingerI am having the same issue in my position. The plant is filthy and I am often out there with my quality team trying to clean up after production - I am so anxious most days that I go home and cry because I am concerned that we are going to have a major problem. I took one day off and came back to find 20+ non-conformances in one day. The Plant Manager does not follow the rules and she is tight with the CEO and so I cannot talk to him. 

The company keeps on adding more responsibilities and I am at the point that I do not know what is normal and what is not normal anymore for a food production facility. I have worked at the same manufacturing facility in a small town for 10 years and our company is very profitable, so much so that they are adding on to our building and potentially building a new facility. They are not using engineers to build, people who have no idea are doing the planning, I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not I am crazy for thinking that the following responsibilities are too much for a 'Quality Manager' (I have been told by the plant manager that I need to suck it up and delegate more - to my staff of 3 who are already at their limit): 

- Develop and maintain all SOPs

- Obtain and maintain all certifications: Organic, Kosher, Halal, Non-GMO, Gluten-free

- Prepare all technical sales documents (including graphics design)

- Respond to customer questions, complete all documents requested - not necessarily quality related

- SQF Practitioner

- PCQI

- HACCP Coordinator

- Health and Safety representative

- Head product development to include recovery of tax credits and obtaining funding - new products are often scrapped after I have spent hours

- Customer audits

- Supplier audits

- HR

- IT

- Overseeing custodial staff

- Working with Sanitation company

Not to mention the usual quality control and assurance - CAPAs, customer complaints, training, inspections, internal auditing etc.

Anything that is too hard for other people ends up on my plate even though I tell them I cannot do any more work than I have been doing.

Does anyone else have to do all of this stuff? I cannot get it all done even working 70 hours a week.

I brought it up to the Plant Manager and was told that perhaps I should seek counselling for my anxiety.

I feel sick with dread and have not had more than 5 days off for over 2 years.

I think I should quit but I live in a small town and there are not many options but I am terrified of liability and at this point bagging groceries seems like a great idea.

Unfortunately, I don't want to leave my team to deal with this - it is not fair to them either.

Plant Manager is more interested in what we will be doing for a Christmas party than running the plant.

Sorry for the rant - I have no one to talk to about this and am ready to walk out the door. 

Cannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:46 PM

No, you're kidding! For all the stuff you're doing they must pay you 10+K a month. Well, even if I was paid that much I wouldn't be able to accomplish all the duties, just due to lack of time... Don't you think it's time to look for another job? With your experience, it wouldn't be that hard, would it?

tinytina3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:11 PM

Enable GingerThanks olenazh. It helps me to realize that I am not actually being a wimp or require psychiatric help. FYI - I make $78,000 CDN before taxes. I think this is low for what I am doing but I think I have reached my pay cap with this pay company. I live 1.5 hours away from the nearest centre so it would require a move. Not sure if I can handle being in Quality anymore. Has anyone had burnout from this job and been able to come back from it?

Note: not sure why Ginger is trying to help me lol.

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

So I experienced quality burnout very similar to what you are describing (right down to the crazy hours and the anxiety) in a different field, medical lab testing.  I then took the quality skills that I attained in that field and switched over to food (it helps that my family owns the business I work for now).  It wasn't a seamless transition, as I had a lot to learn about food safety, but I do use the same skillset.  Leaving that job is one of the best things I ever did.  And I moved 800 miles away to make that change.

Perhaps, you can take your quality skills and make a change in venue?  Alternatively, harness your R&D skills and become a full-time Product Developer?

Edited by Spidey, 28 September 2021 - 07:39 PM.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:48 PM

Enable GingerI am having the same issue in my position. The plant is filthy and I am often out there with my quality team trying to clean up after production - I am so anxious most days that I go home and cry because I am concerned that we are going to have a major problem. I took one day off and came back to find 20+ non-conformances in one day. The Plant Manager does not follow the rules and she is tight with the CEO and so I cannot talk to him. 

The company keeps on adding more responsibilities and I am at the point that I do not know what is normal and what is not normal anymore for a food production facility. I have worked at the same manufacturing facility in a small town for 10 years and our company is very profitable, so much so that they are adding on to our building and potentially building a new facility. They are not using engineers to build, people who have no idea are doing the planning, I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not I am crazy for thinking that the following responsibilities are too much for a 'Quality Manager' (I have been told by the plant manager that I need to suck it up and delegate more - to my staff of 3 who are already at their limit): 

- Develop and maintain all SOPs

- Obtain and maintain all certifications: Organic, Kosher, Halal, Non-GMO, Gluten-free

- Prepare all technical sales documents (including graphics design)

- Respond to customer questions, complete all documents requested - not necessarily quality related

- SQF Practitioner

- PCQI

- HACCP Coordinator

- Health and Safety representative

- Head product development to include recovery of tax credits and obtaining funding - new products are often scrapped after I have spent hours

- Customer audits

- Supplier audits

- HR

- IT

- Overseeing custodial staff

- Working with Sanitation company

Not to mention the usual quality control and assurance - CAPAs, customer complaints, training, inspections, internal auditing etc.

Anything that is too hard for other people ends up on my plate even though I tell them I cannot do any more work than I have been doing.

Does anyone else have to do all of this stuff? I cannot get it all done even working 70 hours a week.

I brought it up to the Plant Manager and was told that perhaps I should seek counselling for my anxiety.

I feel sick with dread and have not had more than 5 days off for over 2 years.

I think I should quit but I live in a small town and there are not many options but I am terrified of liability and at this point bagging groceries seems like a great idea.

Unfortunately, I don't want to leave my team to deal with this - it is not fair to them either.

Plant Manager is more interested in what we will be doing for a Christmas party than running the plant.

Sorry for the rant - I have no one to talk to about this and am ready to walk out the door. 

I like spidey, I switched career paths about 4 years ago. I took one part of my old job that I liked and skilled at - switched gears to something different but with some commonality. I worked for a very small company. I got lucky, I lived in a small town with limited options as well but at time of FSMA so companies were hiring. After realizing this was a career move I was happy with and wanted to pursue - I moved to a city and larger company.

tinytina3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:50 PM

Enable GingerHi Spidey and kfromNE, thank you for your responses. I am taking a very hard look at my career path. I think I am going to try to branch out on my own and work with small businesses in our province to develop GFSI programs and potentially other certifications - on the side. I plan to leave this company and work at the local bank to pay the bills in the meantime! Thanks for your support.

Twinkle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:52 AM

Enable GingerThanks olenazh. It helps me to realize that I am not actually being a wimp or require psychiatric help. FYI - I make $78,000 CDN before taxes. I think this is low for what I am doing but I think I have reached my pay cap with this pay company. I live 1.5 hours away from the nearest centre so it would require a move. Not sure if I can handle being in Quality anymore. Has anyone had burnout from this job and been able to come back from it?

Note: not sure why Ginger is trying to help me lol.

The amount they pay in Canada is quite awesome. Here in SA I do all of what you do as well as BEE, SEDEX audits, and local unannounced audits as well as retail audits and skills development planning, as well as run a training academy for staff, and packaging designing, artwork sign offs and even drawing up plans for a new site and I dont even earn half of what you earn per month if i had to covert CDN to XAR /12... and i been in this company just over 10 years. I would suggest you request for more assistants to help you and give them different aspects to be in charge of to lighten the burden. if all else fails open your own consulting and training company.

Good Luck

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users