• 373 posts
  • 89 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:00 PM

Hello!

Our facility is looking to go GFSI.  We have selected the SQF scheme to use.  We are trying to determine which standard to use based on what we do.  I had reached out to a CB and gave them the run down of our business and they emailed back stating we would fall under Storage and Distribution.  Reached out to someone else at the same company that said we would fall under Packaging.  I have e-mailed another CB to get their feedback as well and am awaiting that feedback, but figured I would post on here.  

We currently receive raw material and warehouse it for customers.  We do convert material in the form of slitting it down to smaller rolls.  We take the raw material rolls and slit them to smaller rolls.  No change to the raw material except it is smaller now.  I guess the determination comes down to the definition of 'manufacture'.  Any thoughts that could help out?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:58 PM

I would certify under food packaging manufacturing. 

There are risks associate with what you do re: changing the size, that would not exist in storage/distribution only, you have to open packages manufactured elsewhere to cut them down, and then repackage for shipping

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

samihunt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:44 PM

Hi Scotty,

I agree that you need be certified under the food manufacturing code. This requires that you implement modules 2  and 11 of the SQF Edition 9 standard. I am a food safety consultant with over 10 years experience specializing in developing SQF programs for food manufacturing companies across many industries. If you are interested in discussing how I can assist your company in achieving certification, please reach out to me at samisuzette@gmail.com.

Thank you and good luck!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:00 PM

Hi Scotty,

I agree that you need be certified under the food manufacturing code. This requires that you implement modules 2  and 11 of the SQF Edition 9 standard. 

They are not making food however, food contact packaging only.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

samihunt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:03 PM

They are not making food however, food contact packaging 

Yes, I see now. You would fall under food packaging which includes modules 2 and 13. Please reach out if you would like more information on these requirements.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users