• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:50 AM

Hello all!

The more and more I search threads, the more I can't wrap my mind around the difference between policy and procedure.

I have been working with SQF for the past year and have worked on existing systems, I now have the opportunity to restructure our system and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it (the most simple). These are my options:

1. Include policy details in SOPs (this is what I have worked with in the past, sections denoting responsibilities, frequencies, etc)

2. Use the food safety manual as the policy manual- include responsibilities in each section of the manual

3. Create a policy documents and SOP documents- this is the way the current system is set up but it feels like everything is over documented and is just a copy paste of the code

I appreciate any guidance you can provide on clearing up policy vs procedure.

Joanna

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 October 2021 - 03:11 AM

Hello all!

The more and more I search threads, the more I can't wrap my mind around the difference between policy and procedure.

I have been working with SQF for the past year and have worked on existing systems, I now have the opportunity to restructure our system and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it (the most simple). These are my options:

1. Include policy details in SOPs (this is what I have worked with in the past, sections denoting responsibilities, frequencies, etc)

2. Use the food safety manual as the policy manual- include responsibilities in each section of the manual

3. Create a policy documents and SOP documents- this is the way the current system is set up but it feels like everything is over documented and is just a copy paste of the code

I appreciate any guidance you can provide on clearing up policy vs procedure.

Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Regarding ^^^^(red)

This fundamental query pops up at various intervals. Afai recall the "definitions" formalized by ISO have been the basis of most FS Standards albeit with occasional tweaks.

I suggest to first try the link referenced inside the  post 5(of thread X1) linked below,  followed by a look at Post 9 of same thread X1 (and especially follow the further linked post inside Post 9 )

https://www.ifsqn.co...an/#entry134678

Hope the above directions not over-convoluted. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,504 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 October 2021 - 12:12 PM

Policy = what your company is going to do

Procedure = how you're going to do it

work instructions = step by step instructions to do a specific task

so in the context of SQF (simplified example)

GMP Policy - no food drink allowed on the floor etc

Procedure - perform daily GMP checks

Work Instruction - observe employees returning from lunch/break for evidence of items in the mouth (chewing gum /sucking on candy or mints) record findings on record ABC

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

When I was thrust into the FS Manager position I noticed the FSM had "Policy" in it and also had a procedure that mirrored it exactly. I eliminated all of the "policies" as the procedures stated the policy at the beginning. I spoke with the Auditor about this specific issue and his response was that if the policy was stated it complied and liked that it was a part of the procedure as it clarified the purpose of the policy and exemplified it in the procedure. We'll see what the next auditor says though,  this will be our last year with this one as he's retiring.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

Keep it as simple as possible. That is what we do.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Policy, Procedures, Prerequisite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users