• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hi, 

Looking at best method for collecting samples of ambient and compressed air for testing. Best method does require some kind of microbial air sampler. Does anyone have a brand or a sampler they have liked? and best method for validating that test. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:21 PM

For microbiological testing:   

these don't collect samples, but direct the air to be tested directly onto the media of choice.  

Compressed air testing i have used the camtu.   It seems to work ok.  

\\\https://www.parker.c...bialTestKit.pdf

It has been years since I have had an ambient air sampler.   I  believe it was:

https://nelsonjameso...ler-p13836.html

for validation., I would use the mfg data, positive and negative controls, and velocity calibration (for ambient air sampler).  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

YNA QA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 17 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Crochet, Reading, Animals, Football

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

Previous years we tested compressed air using a special machine we had to rent for a day. It was a giant pain and required two techs, and was not worth the time or hassle.  I ended up calling an old colleague and asked how they conducted their testing, and he told me they blew the compressed air onto a prepared plate.  Our lab will prepare APC and Yeast/Mold Plates, and we handle testing that way.  We held the plate about 6 inches away and blew onto it for 3 seconds.  We use the same ones for ambient air and place them in various areas around the facility and leave them out for 10-15 minutes.  I've had no issues to date with these methods, and our results mimicked the same amounts as years prior using the bulky, difficult machinery.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:27 PM

We are a packaging manufacturer (folding carton). We use 3M Petrifilm Rapid Yeast and Mold plates. We set up the testing protocol and maximum count specs from best practices. We use a sanitized hose and adjustable nozzle and installed quick connects at every point of use (12 points so far...) to plug in to. We blow air at a low pressure at the hydrated plates for 5 minutes. Once the proper time has passed (3 days) we read the results on a light table and anything under 10 count of either is a pass. Corrective action for a high count is a re-test to confirm then shut down the air feed and clean or replace it, re-test to verify the CA was successful. 

susangopher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2021 - 06:34 PM

This is a very helpful discussion as our auditor inquired about our CA testing this time.  We are BRC with a low moisture product and the BRC Standard says we need to MONITOR the Air. We do check and change our filters regularly and can prove it. 

Just as having your in-house Lab certified or sending all testing out to a 3P lab keeps getting pushed upon us, this CA testing keeps coming up as well.

I found this information from Parker who makes the CAMTU tester mentioned above- part of a series- Enjoy! :biggrin:

http://blog.parker.c...des-part-1-of-6

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users