• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:19 PM

Hello,

I have seen the following article(s) referenced quite often on this forum in regards to hot fill and hold temperatures:

https://foodsafety.w...osing a Hot.pdf

and

https://aggie-hortic...ified_foods.pdf

Both reference a fill temperature minimum of 180 degrees F.  

What I am trying to figure out is if this temperature is referring to the temperature in which the liquid is filled into the bottle, or if this is an adjusted temperature that accounts for temperature loss from the packaging heating up from the hot liquid. 

I.E does the fill temperature really need to be about 190F to account for heat loss due to transfer into the packaging materials, OR does it mean it can be filled at 180F and the heat transfer decrease happens after?

Lastly, just for my understanding, when it comes to the time/temperature combination as referenced in the first article; is it saying that essentially 160 F for 1.2 minutes = the same results as 178F for 0.1 minutes?

Thanks!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:42 PM

The hot fill temperature refers to minimum temperature the product must be before filling jars.

Second question, you are correct, the chart tells you minimum hold times based on product temperature at fill

NOTE: if you are making an acidified food, you will still need a scheduled process for your particular product, but these charts work as a guide

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Beveragequestions44

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

The hot fill temperature refers to minimum temperature the product must be before filling jars.

Second question, you are correct, the chart tells you minimum hold times based on product temperature at fill

NOTE: if you are making an acidified food, you will still need a scheduled process for your particular product, but these charts work as a guide

Thanks Scampi,

That was very helpful

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users