Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:18 PM

Hi.  I've been the QC Manager for a produce company in Mexico for the past 7 years. I helped create our QC department from scratch (with some help from this forum, THANK YOU!) and successfully passed PRIMUSGFS audit for several years.  I would like to switch to the other side of the table.  

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations in terms of types of certifications (I already have HACCP), courses (currently looking at registering for https://www.dnv.us/t...training-103669), etc.?  And just general advice or tips. 

Thanks!

Ann

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

There has been many discussions about this same subject. If you search the forum, you should find them.

SMM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

I have a question, we are in food and we have a primary packaging (that touches the product) and the secondary packaging. The primary packaging in not traceable (any labeling from supplier), just the secondary packaging  is trackability. Like a cereal package, we sale always our product in primary and secondary package.

I need a regulation federal, or FDA, FSSC, HACCP, .... any regulation, any thing like this that occurred in the past that can help me to prove there is any problem if we will have a recall for our primary packaging. 

Can you help me please?   

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

Hi SMM; Why is your primary packaging not traceable? Does your supplier have problems with providing lot #s to their batches OR it's kind of untraceable material (I would think of plastic sleeves or shrink wraps in rolls)? Are you with any particular GFSI scheme? Even if you are not, it's a common sense to have primary packaging traceable to simply save your money: because, in case of packaging-related recall you'll have to withdraw all batches of your products packed in that particular primary packaging. And it's a huge headache...

SMM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for your answer,

It's because of our supplier. The primary package is a plastic bag and the second packaging is a barrel. 

We sale always the product in primary and secondary packaging, together.

Then, there is not any hope?

Hi SMM; Why is your primary packaging not traceable? Does your supplier have problems with providing lot #s to their batches OR it's kind of untraceable material (I would think of plastic sleeves or shrink wraps in rolls)? Are you with any particular GFSI scheme? Even if you are not, it's a common sense to have primary packaging traceable to simply save your money: because, in case of packaging-related recall you'll have to withdraw all batches of your products packed in that particular primary packaging. And it's a huge headache...

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:19 PM

Is it the same supplier for both packaging materials? Yes, I understand that you sell your product in BIB (bag in barrel). OK, let me ask one of our suppliers (they also sell BIB, bag in box) how they handle this situation. If they give me any reply - I'll get back to you.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for your answer,

It's because of our supplier. The primary package is a plastic bag and the second packaging is a barrel. 

We sale always the product in primary and secondary packaging, together.

Then, there is not any hope?

Not even a lot number from the supplier?

SMM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:25 PM

Yes, the supplier of plastic bag and the barrel is the same, the plastic bag is in the barrel when we receive it.

Is it the same supplier for both packaging materials? Yes, I understand that you sell your product in BIB (bag in barrel). OK, let me ask one of our suppliers (they also sell BIB, bag in box) how they handle this situation. If they give me any reply - I'll get back to you.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

Yes, the supplier of plastic bag and the barrel is the same, the plastic bag is in the barrel when we receive it.

If they go together - then, it's the same lot # for both.

SMM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:37 PM

If they go together - then, it's the same lot # for both.

yes, but is our supplier have a problem with plastic bag, how we have to recall ?

We have to recall depend on lot number of barrel, it's ok?

If yes, I need to prove it by a regulation, ... to our auditor.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

I don't think there's any standard/legislative document regulating this matter. Let's see what other member will advise.

Thanked by 1 Member:
SMM

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Helping and mentoring others to achieve their food safety and HACCP compliance outcomes.

BRC Consultant

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:02 PM

Hi.  I've been the QC Manager for a produce company in Mexico for the past 7 years. I helped create our QC department from scratch (with some help from this forum, THANK YOU!) and successfully passed PRIMUSGFS audit for several years.  I would like to switch to the other side of the table.  

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations in terms of types of certifications (I already have HACCP), courses (currently looking at registering for https://www.dnv.us/t...training-103669), etc.?  And just general advice or tips. 

Thanks!

Ann

Hi Ann

I suggest looking at the requirements to become a 'certified auditor' as this will give a guide on what qualifications, training you need. Check out:

Exemplar Global:  https://exemplarglob...safety-auditor/

ASQ: https://asq.org/cert...nd deficiencies.

IRCA: https://www.quality.org/

Good luck!

Click here to get The Ultimate Guide to HACCP Certification

Read our article on How to be a Successful HACCP Team Leader

Update your HACCP knowledge with our accredited Codex HACCP 2020 Update Online Training

HACCP Mentor is a global food safety compliance and education platform that makes food safety, quality and HACCP compliance easy.

Find us at www.haccpmentor.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users