Guitardr85

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, HARPC, SQF Practitioner, FSMA, Food Safety Culture, Reading, Creative Writing, Guitars, Piano, Music, Art, Wanderlust, Traveling.

Posted 01 February 2022 - 05:25 PM

Good morning everyone,

I have been hit with an ethical and potentially legal issue that, while I already know what I am going to do, I wish to pose the question to my fellow food safety champions more as a validation of my own thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Here it goes..

My boss, the Director of Quality, went on vacation for a week. In her absence I have been working on some extra aspects on the business. Today, I learned that our company shipped some product that had been on hand since November due to being previously rejected by a customer due to both non-conforming AND missing micro testing. After investigating I determined that the non-conforming and missing testing requirements were never followed up on and seemingly the product was just shipped again to the customer without their approval or a waiver. I acted immediately and engaged all resources to bring this product back (thankfully it was in transit). I later learned though that my boss ok'd this product for shipment and (to add to the mess) asked our warehousing personnel to change the labels to a DIFFERENT DATE which reflects product that was acceptable (which after reviewing I found that there wasn't even production and therefor no testing available for this date either). I am a person of integrity so I contacted my boss and worded my message in a way that allows them to save face but at the end of the day I will still not let this product go out. 

I would just like others thoughts on this and if anyone has had any similar experiences. I generally like the folks that I work with but I can't say for sure how many times I can contradict my boss like this before I'm shown to the door. :(

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 01 February 2022 - 05:46 PM

Hey, that sounds sad, really. We've already had discussions on this kind of issues, and what most of people said - run for your life! Just think: is it all worth of your nerves, health, efforts and time? If you say yes - then continue your battle, just put on the paper all your concerns with thorough description of problem, who it was reported, dates, replies, etc. It'd help you in case of bad consequences of your superiors' negligence.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:16 PM

It's terrible that you've been put in this situation---this isn't simply a case of unethical behaviors--this is actually illegal

The fact that your boss couldn't even give you the heads up speaks volumes about her integrity (or lack there of) never mind the company's core values. The company has committed fraud and adulteration under the letter of the law.

Run for the hills.............you stumbled upon this, so I would imagine there are a lot more skeletons in the company closets, they've shown they do not respect you, regardless of what you have been shown

Best of luck to you, you're going to need it working in those conditions

Edited by Scampi, 01 February 2022 - 06:17 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

oigdaym8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:16 PM

Are they familiar with the PCA debacle? Sorry to hear this is your experience. I would be looking for a new position.

Guitardr85

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, HARPC, SQF Practitioner, FSMA, Food Safety Culture, Reading, Creative Writing, Guitars, Piano, Music, Art, Wanderlust, Traveling.

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:28 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have obviously been addressing these issues internally but have found myself starting to be boxed out from meetings and other important communications....

I was hit with another "wow" moment when one quality employee's father unexpectedly died the other day. The employee was visibly sad at work (yes they still came into work because no vacation or insurance is offered to employees) and they were literally told "Oh whatever...this is work not sad crying time...Get over it."  

I was floored to say the least...

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have obviously been addressing these issues internally but have found myself starting to be boxed out from meetings and other important communications....

I was hit with another "wow" moment when one quality employee's father unexpectedly died the other day. The employee was visibly sad at work (yes they still came into work because no vacation or insurance is offered to employees) and they were literally told "Oh whatever...this is work not sad crying time...Get over it."  

Wow. Also no vacation or insurance offered - nope. I would find a new job. There should be options in Chicago.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:49 PM

Those are the obvious signs that something is definitely not right at your company. Merciless and rude management, sweeping problems under the rug - are they worth of working with them? 

Edited by olenazh, 07 February 2022 - 05:50 PM.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:24 PM

Run!  Now is the perfect time to find another position because every company is hiring.  Good luck!

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:30 PM

I would be very nervous about the company precedent on this sort of thing.  You caught this one but how many went through without being caught.  All you need is one person to get sick or die and then they will come and find everyone in the chain that had responsibility.  Create policy and enforce it or run for the door.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Unethical, senior management, labeling, date coding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users