• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:20 PM

Hello Everyone, 

I work in a seafood processing facility and use large tote dumps to place live raw crabs onto a conveyor belt. My concern is that water from the bottom (floor) of the tote will get on to product and equipment. The only solution I can think of is to stop the tote from going past 90 degrees creating a lot more work for employees. Any suggestions? 

The crab is cooked later in the process, however, I don't think that affects this concern. 

foodguy63

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Dad, average activities enthusiast, and science nerd utilizing a risk-based analysis to take on life.

Posted 02 February 2022 - 02:17 PM

Hey SerenaPac,

What style of tote dumper are you using? I have used two stage tote dumpers when processing raw meat in the past. The design basically allows the tote to move secondary to the pallet and helps reduce the potential of transferring foreign material or other unwanted items from the pallet.. Might be helpful, might not be. There is a financial investment required as they are not cheap. Really depends on your product/process.

Here is a link to a quick video if interested: https://youtu.be/1KjDjWCF6SE 

Best,

foodguy63

SerenaPac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:52 PM

Hi foodguy63, 

Thank you for answering. We use a single stage tote dumper, also, the totes are make of hard plastic and placed directly on the floor, no pallets are used. 

foodguy63

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Dad, average activities enthusiast, and science nerd utilizing a risk-based analysis to take on life.

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:39 PM

Hi foodguy63, 

Thank you for answering. We use a single stage tote dumper, also, the totes are make of hard plastic and placed directly on the floor, no pallets are used. 

Plastic re-washable pallets may be something worth considering? I have used them in a wide variety of conditions and they seem to hold up well. It would elevate your totes from contacting the floor, but I also understand that may not currently be possible within your process. 

Best,

foodguy63

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cross-Contamination

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users