Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2022 - 03:27 PM

Hi wondering if anyone can help with my business idea.

I will be starting to make some smoothies to sell via my website online, and I initially wanted to make these at home and sell D2C. I want to sell frozen smoothies to the customer, they will arrive frozen to the customer for them to thaw. 

Obviously with frozen smoothies there is a small risk of bacteria or microorganism growth. As its a frozen smoothie, the raw ingredients used don't have to be frozen. Is it safer to use frozen ingredients (that have been tested for bacteria) and washed, or fresh, shop bought ingredients to then blend and freeze?

Which is safer in terms of bacteria and microorganism growth? As this will help with my HACCP.

Thanks, any help really appreciated and please treat me like an idiot with any responses.

Hi wondering if anyone can help with my business idea.

I will be starting to make some smoothies to sell via my website online, and I initially wanted to make these at home and sell D2C. But it seems that its quite complicated to set your home kitchen as my business food premises (renting doesn't help either). 

I know that in order to sell food online I have to register with the local authority who will visit to check that the premises is hygienic etc. Because I am making smoothies, can I arrange to rent a commercial kitchen for a day or two, register it and register it as my food premises? As I will only need a day or two to make these smoothies while orders are low. 

Is this something I can do, as that way the commercial kitchen will meet all the requirements from the authority, but it isn't a permanent premises for me? Am I able to do this, any help would be great.

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 07 March 2022 - 11:12 AM

Time and temperature are your biggest enemies.  Product that has been pre-inspected will be safe but you can purchase product with a LOG that will be just as safe.  The most damage that can be done will most likely be with maintaining temperature during shipping.  You will need insulated boxes with either water ice or dry ice and then make them safe for shipping.  Have you looked into packaging yet?

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smoothie, microbiology, bacteria, microorganism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users