• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:42 PM

Hi, 

I just started in the QA manager position about 5 months ago, I have no experience and I'm still getting familiar with the SQF code and having my PCQI training, long story short, I had the Annual SQF audit last month and the auditor made a comment about not having an "Effectiveness" column in the verification-validation register. 

I'm trying to find a way to "grade" or describe the effectiveness of our system 

Any example or explanation will be appreciate it. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:05 PM

Hi, 

I just started in the QA manager position about 5 months ago, I have no experience and I'm still getting familiar with the SQF code and having my PCQI training, long story short, I had the Annual SQF audit last month and the auditor made a comment about not having an "Effectiveness" column in the verification-validation register. 

I'm trying to find a way to "grade" or describe the effectiveness of our system 

Any example or explanation will be appreciate it. 

Hi qualitycc,

You probably need to start "digging" in to the Standard/Guidance, eg -

Validation : That element of verification
focused on collecting and evaluating
scientific and technical information to
determine if the HACCP food safety (or
quality) plan, when properly implemented,
will effectively control the hazards (Codex).

Basically Validation requires proof of "Effectiveness". The specifics depend on the item(s) involved.

SQF is notorious for its "quirkiness" regarding its interpretation of Validation.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:37 PM

Proof of effectiveness can come in a variety of forms: lack of customer complaints, lack of findings during internal audits, etc.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2022 - 10:17 PM

Proof of effectiveness can come in a variety of forms: lack of customer complaints, lack of findings during internal audits, etc.

The first one may not be accepted in some scenarios since Validation is interpreted (Codex) as a preliminary study prior to routine Production (also see the SQF definition above). However I am aware that some SQF auditors will accept (or perhaps even expect) what FSIS separately designates as "On-Going" Validation. The whole topic also has a variety of phased operational sub-terminologies in some texts which amplify the FSIS approach. Some confusion is consequently almost guaranteed although nominally the SQF Standard afaik avers to following Codex.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: validation, verification, audit, SQF, effectiveness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users