Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:39 AM

Hi some time ago i wrote a HACCP plan for a meat cutting plant using the Meat Industry Guide as a template however now I have another one to do and the MIG has been withdrawn.  I think it used to request regular sampling from random taps.

Is there legislationthat requests monthly water samples from taps in the premises now?  The Food Standards Agency website information doesn't specify this as a requirement. The water from my small cutting plant is supplied by the water authority and I have access to the test results from their periodic testing.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:49 PM

What that doesn't show you is whether or not you have contamination in the pipes AFTER the main water line attaches to the facility

Best practice is to randomize locations and test those AND review the annual water report from the authority

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2022 - 03:05 PM

Hi some time ago i wrote a HACCP plan for a meat cutting plant using the Meat Industry Guide as a template however now I have another one to do and the MIG has been withdrawn.  I think it used to request regular sampling from random taps.

Is there legislationthat requests monthly water samples from taps in the premises now?  The Food Standards Agency website information doesn't specify this as a requirement. The water from my small cutting plant is supplied by the water authority and I have access to the test results from their periodic testing.

Hi Karen,

MIG manual attached here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...oaf/#entry53110

(Quite old now but the referenced EC Directive for Potable Water is afaik still in use.)

There is also a UK local municipal pdf detailing their sampling/standards attached somewhere on the forum. Could do a search for posts using  "water" (or maybe "pipe") but will be quite a labour. IIRC the Micro limits were close to those in EC Directive but not 100% identical.

Edited by Charles.C, 01 April 2022 - 03:22 PM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KarenMeadowsSIA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:52 PM

thank you both that is helpful.  the MIG seems to have been replaced by the Manual for Official Controls which also looks at wine production...

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 April 2022 - 06:26 PM

With meat plants---some are quite old---lead pipes, so you (at least not in Canada) can call it potable if it's over the limit for lead (or roughly 200 other contaminants)

Lead pipes also corrode, which can allow bacteria from the substrate into the water supply which could in turn contaminate your water and it may make the employees all sick

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, sampling, microbial limits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users