Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 05 April 2022 - 12:02 PM

One of our CCP's is the water pressure used to rinse bottles before filling.  Pressure gauges are calibrated every year but one of the retailer standards require the following:

"All measuring equipment used to monitor critical control points must be checked for accuracy at the start of every shift as a minimum."

The pressure is recorded every hour and the production line automatically stops when the pressure drops below the critical limit. 

How would the accuracy of a pressure gauge be verified with every shift?

Thanks

Edited by Wian, 05 April 2022 - 12:05 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:45 PM

One of our CCP's is the water pressure used to rinse bottles before filling.  Pressure gauges are calibrated every year but one of the retailer standards require the following:

"All measuring equipment used to monitor critical control points must be checked for accuracy at the start of every shift as a minimum."

The pressure is recorded every hour and the production line automatically stops when the pressure drops below the critical limit. 

How would the accuracy of a pressure gauge be verified with every shift?

Thanks

Do you have the capability to attach a "Master" calibrated gauge at same location area as current gauge ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:47 PM

with a calibrated pressure gauge-

https://www.fluke.co...ure-calibrators

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:13 PM

Do you have the capability to attach a "Master" calibrated gauge at same location area as current gauge ?

What is the difference between a Master calibrated gauge and a calibrated gauge? I know the Master is used to calibrate other un-calibrated gauges, but the gauges we use are all calibrated.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:30 PM

The Master would have an annual outside calibration certificate associate with it (where you send it out to a 3rd part to be recertified annually) and that is the one you use to verify all other calibrations against

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 05 April 2022 - 02:39 PM

The Master would have an annual outside calibration certificate associate with it (where you send it out to a 3rd part to be recertified annually) and that is the one you use to verify all other calibrations against

We don't do in-house calibration, our gauges are calibrated each year by sending them to a 3rd party, after which we receive a calibration certificate for them.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 07:37 PM

BUT your customer is asking you to do in house verifications daily so if you want their business you're going to have to get a master to make them happy

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 06 April 2022 - 06:09 AM

BUT your customer is asking you to do in house verifications daily so if you want their business you're going to have to get a master to make them happy

As stated our gauges are Master gauges as per your definition.  

My question is how do i verify the accuracy of these "Master calibrated gauges" daily?

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 06 April 2022 - 07:13 AM

You keep one gauge in the cabinet as the only master and let the others become "slaves". An assumption is that if a gauge works a lot (a.k.a. daily), it's not a master. intuitively, one loses its reference reliability due to the deviation and degradation by working load.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2022 - 08:34 AM

As stated our gauges are Master gauges as per your definition.  

My question is how do i verify the accuracy of these "Master calibrated gauges" daily?

Hi Wian,

In addition to previous Post, IMEX (thermometers)  the "Master" instrument is typically of higher specification/capability than routine units. For example the link in Post3.

But also see my query in Post 2.

Presumably, if you had some simpler method to directly re-calibrate your gauges, eg with a "standard" pressure sample,  there would be no need for these subtleties. For example balances are daily calibrated with reference weights. It can also relate to the desired accuracy, for example raw materials stored in iced solution can often be adequately checked with a dial gauge calibrated directly against melting ice.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 06 April 2022 - 08:48 AM

Hi Wian,

In addition to previous Post, IMEX (thermometers)  the "Master" instrument is typically of higher specification/capability than routine units. For example the link in Post3.

But also see my query in Post 2.

Presumably, if you had some simpler method to directly re-calibrate your gauges, eg with a "standard" pressure sample,  there would be no need for these subtleties. For example balances are daily calibrated with reference weights.

Maintenance suggested we split the connection point to make space for the "Master" & "Slave" with a valve separating the two so that when the operators needs to verify the accuracy they can turn the valve to get the reading from the "Master" to verify the "Slave", basically what you stated in post #2.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2022 - 09:00 AM

Maintenance suggested we split the connection point to make space for the "Master" & "Slave" with a valve separating the two so that when the operators needs to verify the accuracy they can turn the valve to get the reading from the "Master" to verify the "Slave", basically what you stated in post #2.

Hi Wian,

Not sure if  the valve (pressure drop?) may interfere (I suppose liquids [incompressible] are less difficult than gases (my experience)). I guess you could alternatively use a "tee" sampling point but this presumably needs a lot more work.

Hopefully, you don't have a large number of  pressure gauges. :smile:

PS - If not a CCP, you might have less difficulties.

Edited by Charles.C, 06 April 2022 - 09:09 AM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Wian

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 06 April 2022 - 09:29 AM

Hi Wian,

Not sure if  the valve (pressure drop?) may interfere. I guess you could alternatively use a "tee" sampling point but this presumably needs a lot more work.

Hopefully, you don't have a large number of  pressure gauges. :smile:

Yes, I meant like a "T" connection.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users