Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:58 PM

I am not sure if there are certain standards for the driver's entering the facility. We have them come to the trucker entrance-They sign in with the following information: Name-Date-Phone# (for contact due to COVID)-Time they arrived and leave. We also ask for a copy of there diver's license (which i have been told this was what an auditor suggested). Yesterday we had a driver not willing to give us his driver's license? Is this a requirement by SQF?  

He offered up the truck registration to make a copy of,  wish maybe could be a suitable alternative

Obviously any freight company will be able to tell what driver was in our facility for any given delivery, we have trucking paperwork and each driver has a unique ID# 

Could someone over up suggestions or alternatives? I would truly appreciate any help

Stacy Surine

nicfarmer12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:26 PM

Are you making a copy of the license or just asking for a picture id for verification of who they are? I've never been asked to provide a copy of my license to enter a facility. We have all visitors enter the front office, then sign in (this includes date, time, who they are visiting/purpose of visit, visitor badge number, and time out), and they are accompanied by an employee at all times. For contractors coming on site they have to fill out a visitor gmp policy/acknowledgement as well. 

Nicole Farmer

Thanked by 1 Member:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:27 PM

I wouldn't give you my driver's license either, that's personal information.   We have them sign in, restrict their movements within the facility (they can only be near the shipping dock, and they can use the bathroom, that's it).  Why you would need their license and registration is beyond me.

Thanked by 2 Members:

nicfarmer12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:38 PM

Forgot to add: I do not think there is a specific "drivers entering facility policy". Its going to be your visitor policy. 

Nicole Farmer

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 259 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:55 PM

We have drivers sign in and out, and get their truck and trailer numbers.  We don't ask for their personnel ID.

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:27 PM

We require drivers to show a government issued photo id (typically drivers license) for identification purposes. We don't photo copy it, just look at it. We seldom have a driver refuse. If they do - we don't accept the load. 

On the other side, I have been a visitor in a variety of food manufacturing facilities and providing photo ID seems to be coming more common. 

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 507 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:32 PM

We require drivers to show a government issued photo id (typically drivers license) for identification purposes. We don't photo copy it, just look at it. We seldom have a driver refuse. If they do - we don't accept the load. 

On the other side, I have been a visitor in a variety of food manufacturing facilities and providing photo ID seems to be coming more common. 

I would SHOW it, but nobody is making a copy of it...

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2022 - 06:29 PM

We have a locked driver's entrance with a buzzer. They buzz, an S&R person answers the door and if the driver has to visually inspect / count the outgoing load, they come in for that then they wait in their truck. After they are loaded our S&R personnel walk the paperwork out to them and they leave. Under NO circumstances are drivers allowed anywhere except the immediate dock area, never would they be allowed to use our bathrooms as there are none in the dock areas.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 April 2022 - 07:05 PM

I would not blindly give your company any info without knowing why.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 April 2022 - 07:06 PM

SQF has no specific requirement for dl.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Rick Reyes

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 April 2022 - 08:13 PM

Good afternoon Stacys, I think people are getting a little far away from the real intent of this process. At the end of the day it is the manufactures responsibility to ensure that no unauthorized persons have access to any of your process no matter how seemingly insignificant. In the US it is required that the manufacturer verify the identity of any unknown visitors, while making copies of a drivers license may be a bit much the only real way to properly verify the identity of an unknown visitor is to request an officially issues government ID, if the visitor refuses then this may not be a person I would want on my premises. Some have suggested that trailer documents or some other form of picture less document issued by a nongovernmental agency would suffice, trailer documents certify the trailer and cargo but do not certify the identity of the driver. It is the cost of doing business in our world, we have to accept that the consequences of not doing it can be very high for the consumer and the company if we got it wrong.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users