• IFSQN Senior
  • 259 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

We produce imitation crab meat and sell it to retail stores.  On our label, we list multiple ingredients under "contains less than 2%"  Do these have to do in order of most to least like the bigger ingredients?  During a recent recipe change, two of the ingredients switched amounts a tiny bit, like less than .05%  Understandably, they don't want to change labels if it's not needed.

Is there a link to the FDA site where I can find this information? I've searched and am having trouble finding anything.

Thanks.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 11 April 2022 - 05:25 PM

Forum members in the US will hopefully pick this up as their expertise on FDA requirements is vastly greater than mine, but I presume you're referring to the exemption from ordering by proportion that can be applied below 2%, as included in 21CFR101.4:

(2) The descending order of predominance requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section do not apply to ingredients present in amounts of 2 percent or less by weight when a listing of these ingredients is placed at the end of the ingredient statement following an appropriate quantifying statement, e.g., "Contains _ percent or less of ___" or "Less than _ percent of ___." The blank percentage within the quantifying statement shall be filled in with a threshold level of 2 percent, or, if desired, 1.5 percent, 1.0 percent, or 0.5 percent, as appropriate. No ingredient to which the quantifying phrase applies may be present in an amount greater than the stated threshold.

There is a general FDA page on labelling  and nutrition guidance on their website here that might be useful to you: https://www.fda.gov/...ory-information

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:14 PM

I think you are OK.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 259 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:52 PM

Forum members in the US will hopefully pick this up as their expertise on FDA requirements is vastly greater than mine, but I presume you're referring to the exemption from ordering by proportion that can be applied below 2%, as included in 21CFR101.4:

(2) The descending order of predominance requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section do not apply to ingredients present in amounts of 2 percent or less by weight when a listing of these ingredients is placed at the end of the ingredient statement following an appropriate quantifying statement, e.g., "Contains _ percent or less of ___" or "Less than _ percent of ___." The blank percentage within the quantifying statement shall be filled in with a threshold level of 2 percent, or, if desired, 1.5 percent, 1.0 percent, or 0.5 percent, as appropriate. No ingredient to which the quantifying phrase applies may be present in an amount greater than the stated threshold.

There is a general FDA page on labelling  and nutrition guidance on their website here that might be useful to you: https://www.fda.gov/...ory-information

Thank you.
I have looked at the CFR21 so many times, I should have it memorized by now.  But I can't ever seem to find what I'm looking for when I NEED to find something.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users