Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:32 PM

We are setting up a warehouse to store food-contact packaging, and planning on SQF for Storage & Distribution but will consider BRCGS as well.  While I'm just starting to study the standards, the developer and architect of the new whs. said they designed it with an interior office/restrooms/breakroom space that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling (deck?) of the warehouse and asked if that was OK - their point was we wouldn't be able to get on top to clean it; it'll be a drop ceiling and not load-bearing.  I can envision dust and dirt collecting up there over time, and wouldn't think we could blow it off since that would likely relocate on product in storage and the racks, etc.  They said they could quote on having the walls extend all the way to the ceiling if necessary.  Anyone have experience with this?  Thank you.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 April 2022 - 02:08 AM

Extend the walls

I have ner ever seen anything but bad come from anything else.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2022 - 12:54 PM

Do you manufacture the packaging? We are an SQF Manufacture of Food Packaging Edition 9 company and opted to just include the two warehouses with the plant which we have successfully done with little issues. It saves us a half day of auditing.

This also sounds like an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. If it's anywhere internal to the overall structure, could it be block walls with a load bearing deck on top? This would be accessible for cleaning AND double as your internal safe zone for weather emergencies. We had a similar situation and decided instead of going to the ceiling to enclose an unusable space, we made it a deck capable of storage and cleanable and designate the rooms under it as weather emergency safe zones. This is in our plant as well as our warehouses.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pattit

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for your response, Hoosiersmoker.  This site will be warehouse only, not any manufacturing.  And the area is on an external wall.  I'm expecting a quote to extend the walls but will review any other options as well.  Thank you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users