• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:57 PM

Hello,

I work for a company that produces fruit and vegetable purees. Oftentimes we will need to make blends out of multiple tanks of product to target a specific analytic value. I am wondering if there is a basic formula for creating these kinds of blends. For example, if we have 2000 gallons of a product with a brix of 8 and 3000 gallons of a product with a brix of 11, what would be the formula needed to blend these two together in order to achieve a brix of 9.5? Or is there is a book or software or some other kind of resource recommended that might be able to help.

Thank you!

Venkateshkini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:46 AM

You need to use mathematical formulas i think.  We used same when we are working in fruit and veg company. salt, acid, brix etc calculated based on multiplication and mathematical formulas.

1. Say you add 1000 gallon of 8 brix and 2000 gallon of 11 brix , then final brix would be: 8x(1000/3000)+11x(2000/3000) = 2.67+7.33 = 10 Brix 

2. If you add 1000 gallon of 8 brix and 500 gallon of 11 brix , then final brix would be: 8x(1000/1500)+11x(500/1500) = 5.33+2.67 = 9 Brix

3. If you add 800 gallon of 8 brix and 200 gallon of 11 brix , then final brix would be: 8x(800/1000)+11x(200/1000) = 6.4+2.2 = 8.6 Brix

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

What you need is a Pearson Square, it's a calculation method used to balance ratios.  It's commonly used for balancing nutrients in animal feed, the frozen dessert industry uses it to standardize fruit to a certain brix level.  The one I have in a spreadsheet is for fruit standardization, so it won't help you.  I created it at least 10 years ago, so I don't remember all of the math that went into creating it.

Below are some articles I found that describe how to perform Pearson Square calculations.  You can use these to create your own spreadsheet to perform Pearson Square calculations.

https://extension.co...n-square-1-618/

https://extension.ms...tions/p2632.pdf

Maxiak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:39 PM

My apologies for the late reply but thank you for this information, it was extremely helpful and I was able to develop a blending calculator.

Ram Gowen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:54 PM

Hello,

I work for a company that produces fruit and vegetable purees. Oftentimes we will need to make blends out of multiple tanks of product to target a specific analytic value. I am wondering if there is a basic formula for creating these kinds of blends. For example, if we have 2000 gallons of a product with a brix of 8 and 3000 gallons of a product with a brix of 11, what would be the formula needed to blend these two together in order to achieve a brix of 9.5? Or is there is a book or software or some other kind of resource recommended that might be able to help.

Thank you!

I don't think there is any formula or way to calculate this to have what you want and need. However, there are a ton of food blogs and platforms you can get inspired from. For example, one of the most popular platforms is https://costcofdb.co...s-costco-review not sure if they approach this topic, but it's worth taking a look. I usually analyze the ingredients with this help before buying something from the store. On top of that, they have many recipes for all tastes.

Edited by Ram Gowen, 27 June 2022 - 08:56 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users