• Quick Navigation
Photo

Procedure for the approval for use of raw materials, ingredients and packaging materials

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

kasie_marie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 April 2022 - 02:51 AM

We recently had a 3rd party come in to do a supplier assurance audit. We were dinged for not having a  procedure for the approval for use of raw materials, ingredients and packaging materials. We currently only apply our approved supplier policy. Does anyone have a form or procedure I can see for inspiration. We order only for two days because we do not have warehouse space. So we are getting in orders in two maybe three times a week. I am needing something simple because as the loads arrive they are being taken in to production for use. I am attaching the manual we are working off of. It would be Section F/F.2.3.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:36 AM

We recently had a 3rd party come in to do a supplier assurance audit. We were dinged for not having a  procedure for the approval for use of raw materials, ingredients and packaging materials. We currently only apply our approved supplier policy. Does anyone have a form or procedure I can see for inspiration. We order only for two days because we do not have warehouse space. So we are getting in orders in two maybe three times a week. I am needing something simple because as the loads arrive they are being taken in to production for use. I am attaching the manual we are working off of. It would be Section F/F.2.3.

Attachment omitted.

So what is your approved supplier policy ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kasie_marie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:58 AM

Our supplier approval program asks for documentation that ensures that suppliers of raw materials, services and outsourced processing and packaging meet acceptable standards of food safety, legality, quality & authenticity. We only accept loads from our listed provider and receive COA's on product when its delivered. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:11 PM

What does your receiving record ask for?

Who is verifying that what your supposed to receive is what you receive?

Does QA do spot checks?  Are you recording lot codes and BB codes at receipt?  Is anyone verifying CoAs against the incoming lot(s)?

The approved supplier program is mainly aimed at purchases-----you seem to be missing the plant level incoming verifications

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:21 PM

What does your receiving record ask for?

Who is verifying that what your supposed to receive is what you receive?

Does QA do spot checks?  Are you recording lot codes and BB codes at receipt?  Is anyone verifying CoAs against the incoming lot(s)?

The approved supplier program is mainly aimed at purchases-----you seem to be missing the plant level incoming verifications

I agree with this.

Our plan for approving raw materials, ingredients, and packaging materials for use upon arrival includes only receiving from approved suppliers and recording the item being received, supplier name, lot number, best by date, quantity received, condition received in, condition and cleanliness of delivery trailer, whether the delivery trailer was locked or sealed, the temperature of the material being received, the temperature of the trailer, and the name of the person who received it. Based on risk analysis, we only receive COA for certain products including refrigerated/frozen and flavors/spices. For other suppliers, we require an updated example COA to be sent to us annually as part of the supplier reevaluation program. 

For any packaging materials with printed labels, a documented label check would be important.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:32 PM

If you add a QA verification to incoming product as you describe, you should be all set!

We have some record that require 2 people initialing because the steps are that important, QA as the second person

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

lavalienteQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:running marathons so I can eat donuts and pizza

Posted 05 September 2023 - 09:01 PM

If you add a QA verification to incoming product as you describe, you should be all set!

We have some record that require 2 people initialing because the steps are that important, QA as the second person

Scampi - 

If I have my warehouse receiving clerk trained on COAs and verification - would that suffice or am I required to have QA as the second person?

Thank you! 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:27 PM

Scampi - 

If I have my warehouse receiving clerk trained on COAs and verification - would that suffice or am I required to have QA as the second person?

Thank you! 

The department or title is kind of irrelevant, being trained and qualified to recognize acceptable vs. unacceptable traits or conditions is what matters.  If the verifier is a supervisor or manager with some kind of decision making authority is preferable though.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 September 2023 - 05:29 AM

It is unclear to me which specific Clauses of SQF were being dinged since the Code mixes a variety of "approval" related items within Section 2.3.2

Hopefully the Auditor was more explicit ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Approvedmaterials, raw materials, ingredient, Ingredient Release, packaging release, raw materials release, third party audit, supplier assurance audit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users