• Quick Navigation
Photo

Would Mr. Wonka be able to hack it today?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
- - - - -

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2022 - 12:35 PM

Some days the seriousness of this job gets old.  So the other day I was having cocktails with a coworker when we came upon the subject of Willy Wonka's factory.   As an exercise in general NSF/FDA inspection theory, we started going over just a few of the myriad of food safety issues to be found in Mr Wonka's factory.    I mean, he's got a BOAT going through the liquid chocolate.   You can't DO that.    Unless you consider the chocolate is hot enough to be considered kill step?    I dunno...   Lol.   Anyway, we went down this rabbit hole for about an hour, and found it pretty funny.  (Though that may have been partly the cocktails...)   Lack of a HACCP?   Oohmpa Loohmpa GMP's?  Endless food safety issues...

So, in the name of a thread that's more fun than business as usual, where could you find fault with Mr. Wonka's operation?

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2022 - 01:07 PM

The gummy bear tree is absolutely a foreign material risk (unless of course the tree is made from isomalt)

Pretty sure that's not rock candy the river is flowing down

SOOOOOOOOOOOO many glass window panes!!!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 26 April 2022 - 02:22 PM

All food items are exposed to the air, not wrapped. No hairnets worn by anybody, what a shame! Lab coats - ? Jewelry policy is not obeyed. Visitor badges missing. 

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2022 - 02:28 PM

You're worried about the boat but what about Augustus falling in?! He was bare handing it and then fell in contaminating the WHOLE chocolate supply. hahah

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 26 April 2022 - 03:02 PM

SHOULD he be able to hack it today? Captive work force, anyone?? LOL

-Setanta         

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2022 - 04:20 PM

Potential chemical contamination if the mushroom is a magic mushroom.  Same for the plants if they are poisonous plants.  Also, lack of allergen labeling and segregation.  They put sugar and cream into that river, I doubt the other candy items are intended to contain milk.

As a food-contact surface, I would like to see the cleaning and sanitation records for that boat.  

Lot traceability.  How is that supposed to work?

Thanked by 2 Members:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 26 April 2022 - 04:35 PM

Potential chemical contamination if the mushroom is a magic mushroom.  Same for the plants if they are poisonous plants.  Also, lack of allergen labeling and segregation.  They put sugar and cream into that river, I doubt the other candy items are intended to contain milk.

As a food-contact surface, I would like to see the cleaning and sanitation records for that boat.  

Lot traceability.  How is that supposed to work?

Spidy, that was bloody marvelous conclusion! My applauds! 

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2022 - 10:40 PM

This might be my new favorite thread! Thanks  :hypocrite:

Related side note, I found out yesterday that they built a real chocolate factory in order to film the modern version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the behind-the-scenes footage is quite interesting.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:47 PM

No sign in sheet for all those guests either.   

And man, are the oompah loompah's captive?   Or do they volunteers, like Gru's minions?    Are they paid, and htf do you spell oompah loompah!?!?!

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2022 - 02:44 PM

No sign in sheet for all those guests either.   

And man, are the oompah loompah's captive?   Or do they volunteers, like Gru's minions?    Are they paid, and htf do you spell oompah loompah!?!?!

The children had to sign the contract prior to entry into the factory.  It's not a perfect sign in because it doesn't list the guardians that accompanied the children, but if you know every child brought one guardian, you could count the signatures and multiply by two to get a visitor total.  This method doesn't record time in and time out though, which was different for everyone.

On the Oompa-Loompa (thank you Google for the spelling) front, I believe Willy Wonka mentioned they were there voluntarily.  He rescued them from their home country where they were prey to the Vermicious Knids.  So I think we can rule out forced labor.

While I know this is focused on food safety, I feel compelled to point out that OSHA should have shut Willy Wonka down just as fast as the FDA.  (Yes, I know the book took place in England, but the movie was set in America.)

Thanked by 1 Member:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2022 - 02:52 PM

The children had to sign the contract prior to entry into the factory.  It's not a perfect sign in because it doesn't list the guardians that accompanied the children, but if you know every child brought one guardian, you could count the signatures and multiply by two to get a visitor total.  This method doesn't record time in and time out though, which was different for everyone.

On the Oompa-Loompa (thank you Google for the spelling) front, I believe Willy Wonka mentioned they were there voluntarily.  He rescued them from their home country where they were prey to the Vermicious Knids.  So I think we can rule out forced labor.

While I know this is focused on food safety, I feel compelled to point out that OSHA should have shut Willy Wonka down just as fast as the FDA.  (Yes, I know the book took place in England, but the movie was set in America.)

OSHA complaints are certainly welcome.   Anything that would be brought to bear on a company owner showing such gross negligence...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2022 - 03:47 PM

So the children read the contract but I don't think the guardians did. So if there had been any kind of allergen control plan or GMP policy outlined for the guests to know and comply with, then the guardians would not have known about it.

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:31 PM

The coco bean was revered by the Oompah Loompahs and they were paid in chocolate. Work for chocolate! Not a bad idea. lol

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:05 PM

Let's say non of the stuff visible in the movie is used for the production of sellable goods (let's call it an expensive experience centre).
Than there are still regulations regarding what you test feed your employee's and guests.
Chocolate that makes you fat in an instance, bubble gum that makes you balloon.....?!

I am pretty sure jailtime is in the near future if you test products that cause these side effects without proper clinical trail documentation and approvals.

Edited by Marloes, 28 April 2022 - 03:06 PM.

Rhewitt33

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2022 - 12:48 PM

Lickable wall paper!

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 03 May 2022 - 01:02 PM

There's no evidence that the kids and their guardians entering the factory didn't fill in a health questionnaire beforehand but I'm suspicious of that right away- for me that's an NC before we've even started the walkaround. Throw in a distinct lack of handwashing facilities situated around the site and we're on rocky ground. 

Plus, in the least offensive way possible, all the oompa loompas look the same (apart from the one my mum allegedly played in a school production in the early 80s) so keeping track of who has and hasn't received training would be a nightmare!

Having said all that, while there's no changing procedure displayed, there are areas only accessible (by policy at least, greedy Augustus!) to staff which suggests strong consciousness of cross-contamination risks.

I could go on

On the Ball, City

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,069 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:47 PM

When I saw this article, I thought of this post.

https://www.today.co...ctory-rcna32844

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users