• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 06:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm just looking for clarification regarding Certificates of calibration for Infrareds & probes. 

Do we have to send out thermometers to obtain updated certificates of calibration annually?

Thermometers are working, this is verified daily at beginning of each shift, and documented. 

Now, if the thermometers are OK, it's verified daily before using, I don't see why there's a need to obtain a Certificate of Calibration from a third party. 

Just don't want to loose a point in a audit. 

Thanks!

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:06 PM

SQF code states:

12.2.3.2 Equipment shall be calibrated against national or international reference standards and methods or to an accuracy appropriate to its use. In cases where standards are not available, the site shall provide evidence to support the calibration reference method applied. A list of measuring, testing, and inspection equipment requiring calibration shall be maintained.

12.2.3.3 Calibration shall be performed according to regulatory requirements and/or to the equipment manufacturers’ recommended schedule

Now, if you want to avoid the third party calibration certification, you will have to provide evidence of proficiency of the calibrating equipment and the person performing the calibration to regulatory or equipment's manufacturer recommended standard.

Usually, this causes more evidence from the site, so most locations tend to incline towards a third party. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:14 PM

How are you currently verifying them? 

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

rgomez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:19 PM

How are you currently verifying them? 

Currently, we buy new thermometers every year, with new certificates of calibration. Obviously if one get damaged we replace & make sure we receive the cert from manufacturer. 

We verify accuracy at start of each shift using Ice Bath method and it is documented. I have three shifts so we check all of them, three times a day.  

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:12 PM

I was recently in a training class that gave a great definition and differentiation between verification and calibration:

• Verification - checking a single value to confirm the equipment is working properly; performed at a high frequency, i.e. your daily testing.
  • Calibration - checking at least two values across a range to confirm accuracy of measurement; performed at a low frequency,  i.e. annually.

If your standard calls for calibration, I think you need to find a way to test across the range if you want to calibrate internally.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:42 PM

Currently, we buy new thermometers every year, with new certificates of calibration. Obviously if one get damaged we replace & make sure we receive the cert from manufacturer. 

We verify accuracy at start of each shift using Ice Bath method and it is documented. I have three shifts so we check all of them, three times a day.  

To Spidey's and FSQA's point - those are the best practices but it can be costly to send out a bunch of thermometers for calibration. Those IR guns are not easy to calibrate in house either. Luckily - there is always more than 1 way to do something. 

So for you to ensure that this passes per audit standards...

1. Have a thermometer with an unexpired calibration certificate to use at all times. 

2. When performing your verifications - that thermometer with the unexpired calibration should be in the ice bath - this is what you are verifying your in use thermometer against. If you only have the IR probes/guns that is fine. Just as long as you have readings from each. 

3. Compare the 2 readings - If its in spec - great! No corrective actions needed.

4. If its out of spec - you throw it away and provide a new thermometer for use (if the calibration cert is expired, you document the verification prior to handing it out). you may want to have some form of hold/investigation to ensure the product was not at risk because of the invalid temperature reading as well.

So you are not calibrating because you are throwing it away when it no longer meets specification to the calibrated standard. As long as that is documented - I do not believe you should have an issue with that. 

Edited by Kara S., 04 May 2022 - 08:44 PM.

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

Thanked by 1 Member:

rgomez

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:45 PM

Great! thank you all for the information!

Edited by rgomez, 04 May 2022 - 08:45 PM.

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:27 PM

Most companies tend to do the same, buy new ones every year with a new calibration certificate and remove the old ones from the process.

This ends up more economical and practical than sending them to be calibrated.

oigdaym8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:28 PM

Agree with all that discarding and buying new ones is the best route. Unfortunately.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:45 AM

(a) Thermocouples ?

(b) This Procedure mat be questionable if your operational usage involves temperatures "significantly" > 0 degC. (despite what the manufacturer's may say :smile: )

(c) What tolerance is accepted for ice-bath verification ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users