• Quick Navigation
Photo

FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials

Share this

Best Answer , 10 May 2022 - 07:59 AM

if you could not get connect with your supplier in paper work at least yearly, if there any changes in material specs occurred how could you know, plus most COA expired after one year, so it's recommended for your safe

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

LECHUMI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 May 2022 - 01:01 AM

Hi all, 

Good day!

As per the requirement in Additional Requirements Clause 2.5.1 Management of Services and Purchased Materials, could anyone guide on maintaining the review process for product specifications?

According to our external auditor, she has mentioned that the review procedure has to be defined in procedure and need to be reviewed at least annually for all Finished Good, Raw Materials and Packaging Materials

We have defined for scheduled review on the Finished Good Product Specification. However, we are a bit lost for raw and packaging materials specifications. Is it applicable to request our external providers to furnish us the specification annually though no changes? Or is there any other way to get it done?

Thank you for your help. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:04 AM

Get specs on everything and get your updates yearly as well even if nothing has changed.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

muaz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:59 AM   Best Answer

if you could not get connect with your supplier in paper work at least yearly, if there any changes in material specs occurred how could you know, plus most COA expired after one year, so it's recommended for your safe

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 May 2022 - 03:13 AM

Hi LECHUMI,

The requirements of the relevant part of this clause:

2.5.1 Management of Services and Purchased Materials

d) For food chain categories C, D, I, G and K, the following additional requirement applies to ISO/TS 22002-1 clause 9.2; ISO/TS 22002-4 clause 4.6 and ISO/TS 22002-5 clause 4:

The organization shall establish, implement, and maintain a review process for product specifications to ensure continued compliance with food safety, legal and customer requirements.

So, annually I would request a new specification or confirmation that the specification you have is current. Also, contractually you should have an agreement that if the material/specification changes that you are notified beforehand.

In addition, you will need to consider if the specification meets any updated food safety, legal and customer requirements, so your review will also need to confirm if there have been any changes to those.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

LECHUMI

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:17 AM

Hi LECHUMI,

The requirements of the relevant part of this clause:

2.5.1 Management of Services and Purchased Materials

d) For food chain categories C, D, I, G and K, the following additional requirement applies to ISO/TS 22002-1 clause 9.2; ISO/TS 22002-4 clause 4.6 and ISO/TS 22002-5 clause 4:

The organization shall establish, implement, and maintain a review process for product specifications to ensure continued compliance with food safety, legal and customer requirements.

So, annually I would request a new specification or confirmation that the specification you have is current. Also, contractually you should have an agreement that if the material/specification changes that you are notified beforehand.

In addition, you will need to consider if the specification meets any updated food safety, legal and customer requirements, so your review will also need to confirm if there have been any changes to those.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you for the detailed explanation. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 31 May 2022 - 03:24 AM

Hi Tony

Thank you for the detailed explanation. 

No problem LECHUMI.

Kind regards,

Tony

noval_r

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 January 2024 - 04:21 AM

Hi all,

This is my first question to this forum. Maybe someone can help me to explain, how can we fulfill the requirements of the clause in FSSC related to food fraud if we buy raw materials or additives in e-commerce suppliers?

Thank you for your help.

Utama

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 January 2024 - 09:47 AM

Hi all,

This is my first question to this forum. Maybe someone can help me to explain, how can we fulfill the requirements of the clause in FSSC related to food fraud if we buy raw materials or additives in e-commerce suppliers?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

When conducting a  food fraud vulnerability assessment, several factors shall be taken, such as

1. Economic vulnerability (how economically attractive is fraud?)

2. Historical data (has it happened, or are there current developments/cases in the related industry?)

3. Detectability (e.g., how easy to detect, routine screening present?)

4. Access to raw materials, packaging materials, and finished products in the supply chain

5. Certification through an independent sector-specific control system for fraud and authenticity (e.g., chain of custody certification)

6. Complexity of the supply chain (e.g., length, origins, and where the product is substantially change/processed)

In my opinion, because e-commerce is an open market, there is so much risk you must handle, for example, how you must do the audit, even the document (CoA), how you can provide it, and then the relationship with the supplier. And also, if there is a complaint or rejection, can the supplier follow up on the corrective and preventive issues?

And i wanna ask, do you buy them in large quantities?

I think you should change your supplier to another one. There are so many options for suppliers you can approach.

Or, for another suggestion on mitigation, at least you should check the RM every time it comes, to the external lab.

Kindly to  discuss with me more

Best regards,

noval_r

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 12 January 2024 - 04:00 AM

Hello,

When conducting a  food fraud vulnerability assessment, several factors shall be taken, such as

1. Economic vulnerability (how economically attractive is fraud?)

2. Historical data (has it happened, or are there current developments/cases in the related industry?)

3. Detectability (e.g., how easy to detect, routine screening present?)

4. Access to raw materials, packaging materials, and finished products in the supply chain

5. Certification through an independent sector-specific control system for fraud and authenticity (e.g., chain of custody certification)

6. Complexity of the supply chain (e.g., length, origins, and where the product is substantially change/processed)

In my opinion, because e-commerce is an open market, there is so much risk you must handle, for example, how you must do the audit, even the document (CoA), how you can provide it, and then the relationship with the supplier. And also, if there is a complaint or rejection, can the supplier follow up on the corrective and preventive issues?

And i wanna ask, do you buy them in large quantities?

I think you should change your supplier to another one. There are so many options for suppliers you can approach.

Or, for another suggestion on mitigation, at least you should check the RM every time it comes, to the external lab.

Kindly to  discuss with me more

Best regards,

Hi Rafif,

Thank you for your input. Previously we bought the material directly from the supplier but because the MOQ was too large, the supplier suggested buying through his e-commerce for small quantity requests. So finally we still buy from the supplier through their (official) e-commerce because for documents and if there is a non-conformity, we can trace it.

Best regards.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users