• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there a website to check if a Certification Body is Accredited?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Melissa C

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:59 AM

Hi, may I know is there any way that we could find out if the certification body is accredited?

The CB claimed to hold accreditation in the UK and US. But is there any way that I can cross check? 

Are the accreditation status automatically applies to all the certification under the CB? Or subject to the scope they applied? 

If it is subject to scope, how do I check the list of certificates? 

Appreciate if someone can shed some lights. 

Many thanks,

Melissa

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 June 2022 - 03:42 AM

Hi Melissa,

You can check on the Standards Website Directory, so for example if the Certification Body claims to be BRCGS accredited you can search on the BRCGS Directory here: https://directory.brcgs.com/

SQF have Find a Certification Body: https://www.sqfi.com...ification-body/

FSSC 22000: https://www.fssc2200...ication-bodies/

IFS: https://www.ifs-cert...fication-bodies

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 June 2022 - 12:57 PM

Sorry Melissa, forgot to add the screen grab of the BRCGS example:

Attached File  BRCGS Certification Body Directory.png   304.01KB   0 downloads

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:03 PM

You could also write to the prospective CB and ask for a copy of their certification.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 11 June 2022 - 07:03 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2022 - 04:55 AM

You could also write to the prospective CB and ask for a copy of their certification.

Hi Glenn,

It is quite common and best practice to get independent confirmation of certificate and scope validity, which writing to a supplier to get confirmation is not. By all means I would want them to provide a copy of their certificate and audit report but certification and scope should be independent verified.

For example from BRCGS Guidance:

The site must confirm the validity of the certification. This will include:

– confirmation of the certification status (e.g.this can be confirmed on an independent database; for BRC Global Standards it can be confirmed at www.brcdirectory.com). Photocopies of certificates are not recommended and on their own are not considered suitable validation of certification status. During the BRC Global Standards audit the site may be asked to demonstrate its validation process

– confirmation that the certification remains up to date (e.g. by receiving confirmation of successful completion of the recertification processes or by recording certificate expiry dates and completing checks for ongoing certification)

– ensuring that the raw materials are within the scope of the certification.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 June 2022 - 07:35 AM

Re the OP -

IMEX the use of terminologies such as Certification and Accreditation can be confusing and sometimes seemingly illogical.

Might have helped if Melissa had provided a little more context, eg Which CB ??

From BRC website -

(1)

If you’re a certification body that wants to work with BRCGS you will need to be recognised by a National Accreditation Body and accredited to the ISO/IEC 17065:2012 Standard. The 17065 includes requirements for maintaining the confidentiality of information, independence and impartiality of the audit and certification process. It also sets out the need for documented procedures for the audit process; for the selection and training of auditors; and establishes the rights of clients to complain and appeal against decisions.

(2)

[If you’re a certification body that wants] To work with us you will need to apply to a National Accreditation Body recognised by BRCGS. Accreditation demonstrates your ability to carry out audits against standards such as the BRCGS Global Standards. It also allows for independent verification of your certification body and the way you manage the audit and certificate issuing process.

Accordingly, the respective links in Tony's Post 2  for BRC, SQF etc should adequately confirm the existing accreditation of  their listed CBs assuming that BRC, SQF etc have validated/verified the necessary documentation provided by their quoted CBs.

(@Melissa - I assume you trust the relevant Standard  :smile: )

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users